Game-Labs Forum

A Question the French Caribbean HQ in 1808...

Norfolk nChance

If anybody knows or can point me in the right direction...

I want to know where the French Caribbean HQ was based in 1808. Martinique had overseas departments and Fort-de-France likely but Cochrane had it blockaded. Guadeloupe the same issues.

The eastern part of Santo-Domingo seems the most likely area with Louis Marie Ferrand the highest ranking official.

Any thoughts, much appreciated as always

Norfolk 

19 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

If anybody knows or can point me in the right direction...

I want to know where the French Caribbean HQ was based in 1808. Martinique had overseas departments and Fort-de-France likely but Cochrane had it blockaded. Guadeloupe the same issues.

The eastern part of Santo-Domingo seems the most likely area with Louis Marie Ferrand the highest ranking official.

Any thoughts, much appreciated as always

Norfolk 

"Martinique had overseas departments and Fort-de France likely"

???

Martinique was a French overseas colony (not a department, at the time) itself, and it did not have "overseas departments" but "dependencies" (in essence, the nearby island of Sainte-Lucie).

Fort-de-France (ex- Fort Royal) was the capital of Martinique. The governor (with the title of Capitaine général de la Martinique) was Vice-admiral Villaret de Joyeuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Thomas_Villaret_de_Joyeuse

Guadeloupe was another French overseas colony whose governor (Capitaine général de la Guadeloupe) was Général de divison Jean Augustin Ernouf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Augustin_Ernouf

The eastern, i.e. Spanish part of the island of Santo Domingo was under French government only as long as the French-Spanish alliance was in existence and was an improvised undertaking anyway as the French" governor", Général de division Jean-Louis Ferrand, had sought refuge there with the defeated French troops after the failed attempt to reconquest the western part of the island, the former French colony of Sainte-Domingue, now independent Haiti. So, Ferrand was not actually governing a French colony but a Spanish one, tolerated by - or with the enforced (by Napoleon) "consent"  of - the Spanish Crown, presumably in anticipation of a possible reconquest of Haiti for France. Logically, his "rule" came to an end when the French-Spanish alliance broke up.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Louis_Ferrand

As far as I can see, there was no hierarchy among the various French governors (they all received orders directly from the ministry of the navy), so not really a single HQ for the French in the Caribbean but, as a naval station, Fort-deFrance/Martinique certainly was the most important.

Edited by Wagram
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wagram said:

As far as I can see, there was no hierarchy among the various French governors (they all received orders directly from the ministry of the navy)

Agree. The idea of a regional HQ goes against an authority strongly concentrated in Paris and a centralized administration that have been the way of proceeding in France for long and strengthened during the Revolution and the Empire (with the death of privileges).

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 2