Game-Labs Forum

Which mod or unmodded?

MarkShot

New player here.

I usually start off my games modded.  Why?  The mods tend to be better after you know the game, and I prefer to avoid two learning curves.

So, there is:

* Unmodded

* AI+UI Customizations

* Rebalance

* Surrender

Of course, amusingly, they are all from the same person.  :)

So, which mod or unmodded to use and why?

Thanks.

PS1:  I will be looking to play campaign on easy soon.

PS2:  At the moment, I have Rebalance installed.  I like the more visible arcs, the cannon ammo arcs, and the movement seems to reflect realtime play as opposed to speeded up.

Edited by MarkShot
  • Like 1

If you prefer the original game balance + some convenient fixes the UI mod is recommended.

The rebalance mod tends to up the game difficulty, but if you prefer a slightly less arcady feel it's probably what you are looking for. 

The surrender mod was made by GeneralWvpm, he is just more active on the steam forums. If the low surrender rates bother you that is the place to go.

Hope you find one that you enjoy :)

29 minutes ago, contact said:

For those using an Apple.

Any chance the mod will be available to download on updates on the Apple store 🤔

Many thanks.

I've heard that Mac users have been able to get the mods running, but I don't have a Mac myself so my ability to provide support is pretty limited. 

The mods are all based on a modified steam or gog dll, so if the mac version is different enough they would need their own version created.

As I just finished a battle with RB and liked it, I guess I will stay with it.

I like the pace.  If I was a few minutes away from my death, I think I would be marching and not sprinting; unless we  are talking sniper ... than zig zig for your life.

I once saw an analysis that compared to volley fire rifled muskets to the Maxim HMG of WWI.  (Everyone was basically using them, but calling them by different names.)  The lethality was pretty much comparable.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2018 at 7:21 PM, contact said:

For those using an Apple.

Any chance the mod will be available to download on updates on the Apple store 🤔

Many thanks.

Download the mod you want, unzip it and copy resources.assets and Managed and Mod folders. Navigate to:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Ultimate General Civil War/

Right-click on /Ultimate General Civil War.app and choose "Show Package Contents", then navigate to:

/Contents/Resources/Data

Paste the 3 items. When asked "Merge" the Managed folder and "Replace" resources.assets

You're good to go!!!!

Cheers,

gonzo99 :)

EDIT: This used to work. With 1.6 the game wouldn't load until I followed some instructions from pandakraut which are now posted in the first post of the UI & AI Cusomizations Mod thread :)

Edited by gonzo99
  • Like 2