Game-Labs Forum

i miss the Konstabel on my trader

I miss a specific function:

can i have one pls......

every nation have his own specific role :)

Dutch KONSTABEL (SUBSCRIPTION AT THE MARINE)
N. van der Sijs (2010-2015), Dutch words worldwide
constable "non-commissioned officer in the navy; gunner; supervisor '->

Russian † konstápel' 'officer's rank, gun commander at the sea artillery';

Indonesian setabel (an) 'artillery';

Javanese kestabel, setabel 'non-commissioned officer; gunner';

Madoerees satabēl, satabēllān 'artillery; police officer ';

Sundanese istapĕl 'gunner; police officer ';

Sinhalese kostapal, kostāpal 'policeman'.

M. Philippa e.a. (2003-2009) Etymological Dictionary of Dutch
constable zn. 'Non-commissioned officer in the navy'

Mnl. that coninc stauele 'the subcontractors' [1285; VMNW], coningstauel 'commander' [1285; VMNW], comestavele of the here 'commander of the king' [14th century, copy 19th century; MNW comestavele]; vnnl. who conestable of Castilien 'the commander of Castile' [1530; MNW stegelreep], constapel '(sub) officer on an armed merchant ship' in those ... officers, namely, skipper, connestapel ... [1595; WNT], king-stable, coffin table, constable

constable 'supervisor of the gunners' [1599; WNT].
Derived from old french  connestable '(top) commander'

The Dutch constable has become a 'non-commissioned officer in the navy' via 'supervisor of the gunners'.

In English constable has gained the meaning of 'policeman' via 'enforcer of public order', as well as konstapel in Swedish. The meaning evolution, from 'servant' to 'supervisor' and 'captain', is very similar to that of → marshal.

other nations konstabel znw. m., first after Kiliaen 'non-commissioned officer in the navy yard ; head of the monitoring of a yard '<mhd. konstabel 'chief, commander'

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

It would appear to me that the Konstabel is the equivalent to the R.N.'s Gunnery Petty Officer, a fearsome individual equal in almost every respect to the Army's Regimental Sgt. Major and Colour Sgt's.

With their Ratan and rope starter they controlled sections of a gun deck under supervision of an Midshipman and LT, it was, in large part due to their efforts the R.N, was as efficient as it became. They were key and vital positions to the running of any warships lower deck, equal to the  Bosun who's responsibility was for the deck and sail hands.

My introduction to Navy life at HMS Ganges was a Gunnery Petty Officer Turner, a product of Whale Island, who, was very soft spoken, yet could, reduce the biggest recruit to a wreck, then rebuild him into a sailor in the Royal Navy! His kind, as generations of seamen knew them, are now pretty much extinct.