Game-Labs Forum

Ship Model View

Something I would really like to see as a low priority suggestion for the game is the ability to have a complete viewer for the ship models in game. We are lucky here to have the best ship models available of any naval game I have come across, it seems a shame not to emphasise the art involved a bit more and giving players the ability to properly look at the full shape of the ships we have without the clunkiness of using free cam with water in the way.

I would really like to see a sketchfab type system where you can properly move the camera around the ships to fully enjoy what the art designers have provided for us, for the sake of simplicity it would be good to see it as a feature of ports, but I understand that developing this idea would suck away resources from the game itself.

Take these examples from Sketchfab, how great would it be to see this kind of feature available in the game with the fully textured beautiful models we have.

Freecam in comparison is very limited to shots like these, which while you do get to explore the ships very nicely it would be great to go further and have a more optimised system for properly examining ships, especially one that you could potentially toggle water on or off. Here are some shots I managed to achieve of Requin (please don't judge me, I'm just using it to quickly get from a-b).

wWzuqjH.png

wSazPkS.png

19T4zO1.png

nMF97Lr.png

bCVlhNG.png

Note the way the water gets in the way of the hull form shots, something I would personally like to see avoided when examining the workmanship in what goes into the NA models, while the free cam is also quite clunky to use, and those of us who aren't so well practised in it you can rarely get the screenshots you want, especially shots where the sails are deployed, because using freecam on the move is beyond my skill and patience, even into the wind where things are much slower. It would also be great to add some proper lighting to this system so you can adjust sun and light effects to get the ship view you really want, rather than having to rely on the OW weather.

To achieve this idea you could probably refit the mechanics from NA Legends, where the ship is sitting in the dock screen, you could call it something like Architects view, Surveyor's view or Dry Dock Examination, it would add a lot of enjoyment to myself, and I imagine the portion of the game's audience who are very into the ships themselves, here for the artwork more than the gameplay too. Its probably also worth noting that the Museum mode in Assassins Creed Origins was a massive success, with it being used by various people to view the world of ancient Egypt in a really nice electronic form, something that could also be of great value to certain groups of people with a high degree of interest in ships and naval history, maybe even bringing in some new revenue from a new audience, allowing for more money to be reinvested in the game itself.

Thank you for reading :)What are your thoughts?

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 11

Like the idea and the NA-Legends idea spinning around it FREECAM. If it sat in a generic dry dock or totally flat water like a lagoon or typhoon shelter. Maybe some info name, what its job and some performance stats of THAT individual ship. Allowing a quick compare and be able look. This info you can toggle on/off...