Game-Labs Forum

Alternative aiming system

This may tie in to the quality of the NPC crew but my thoughts run to the standard red bar but with one bar above and one below representing the minimum and maximum elevation to hit the selected target based on all the relevant factors (cannon/carronade calibre/length and ammunition type). This band would increase or decrease depending upon the competence of the NPC crew.

By rights, we're the captain of the ship, not every senior member of the crew.

No, we don't need a dialed in "aim in between here and you hit" mechanic at all.  The current functionality is more than sufficient in my opinion.

• Like 1

One "factor" not included in this discussion is the fact that the game plays at about 60/1 time compression - IOW life on a REAL Square rigged warship happened about 60 times SLOWER than it does for us - some examples:

Dropping sails and cleating in (for "full" speed) IRL about 15 minutes and another 15 to actually GET to full speed - in a good wind!

** this takes about 8 - 12 seconds in game **

Turning from a broad reach at full speed to a close reach at full speed (a 90o turn towards the wind) AND re-cleating the sails - about 15 min - with excellent well trained sailors.

** this take 3 - 5 seconds in game **

I have a dozen more - I've actually sailed on a large ship in the Sea Explorers (BSA) years and years ago ----- to my point:

Even with the parts of the game running at 60/1 - many parts HAVE to be slower to make it playable - notably the roll and pitch wich are considerably slower - but still not real time. IRL the gunner would have at least a 5 to 8 second window to fire "on the roll" since the roll would be pretty lazy in a 3500 ton ship.

In our game in 5 to 8 seconds we are past the target and tacking for the next.

So we play - AIM, FIRE, - ah READY

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I think the current horizontal red line is a usable simple tool for testing purposes, but I do agree with the OP that a more robust and informative and may I hope "historically aesthetic" system be in place for the release version. Perhaps a small image to show current notch adjustment of the cannons quoins.

I do find that I lose my aiming height at extreme range when the ships roll reduces my maximum aim point and pulls it down and abandons it at its new height, to the absolute horror of my ranging gunners, who have to start all over again.

I believe my gunners know there stuff and would know their maximum and minimum aiming points which matches the ships heel, regardless of where the horizon sits (I would see that as a very subtle screen marker). If I can then set an aim point which doesn't move with the ships roll I can range my guns when the ship heels adequately for me to release a shot.

So in essence if done well, I would agree with the OP that a similar but more informative system could be utilised.

Hi all,

sorry to revive this thread. After downloading and trying out the game recently I had the same problem with the horizontal red line which sets the guns elevation. It's immersion-breaking and too easy to lose the "last used elevation".

IMO it would be great if quoin was added in a form of a minigame:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UE5YNdS6KcE/VGZ5tevAFVI/AAAAAAAABvc/_KDkEdIRo7E/s1600/donal_0003.jpg

So you'd know precisely what elevation you've used on your last shot and wouldn't have to guess, after you've just moved your mouse to take a look around. The elevation would stay fixed by the quoin position from the last shot.

With such a minigame you could:

1) toggle quoin with specific key (more immersive than some artificial red line, which is always there when you want to fire) and click on it to set new elevation. Would be great if you could also use keyboard for this to increase/decrease the elevation by a notch (so you wouldn't actually even need to see the marker, if you'd feel your range is "almost there", just tap on +/- elevation).

2) take a look around with your mouse without screwing up the set elevation.

If that would be only keyboard controlled, it could even take a few seconds to go from min. to max. elevation. Not immediately, as it is now...

Remember Silent Hunter and moving the periscope up/down? With a key? This could work in a similar way.

Honestly - after a few battles, which were rather long, my wrist was quite in pain from all that shots to get the range correct and trying not to move the red line 1mm lower/higher until I CLICK the mouse to fire a broadside.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...