Game-Labs Forum

Managing the Ship Inventory

melarky

Question

Gotta wonder if any of us do this well. Any way, is there any sort of page in NA that shows me my outposts, docks and the ships in them? Yes, I know of that bar in the Home tab but I'm not sure everything is in sync and docks are what I really care about. I had 14 ships, wanted to buy another but got the Out of Dockspace message. So I expanded my docks and the game told me I now had 17 docks. I have since bought & sold a few more ships. I think I am still within the dock count but the game does not. So a few questions:

1. Docks are global right - not specific to the outpost? I mean I may be in Charleston when I expand but I could put 3 new ships in Nassau if I wanted to? I think I read that somewhere.

2. If you open a new outpost you get some docks with that? I thought it was 3. I am questioning this because I have 6 outposts x 3 docks should give me 18 plus the ones when I expanded. So I think I should have way over the 17 stated by the game.

3. If I put a boat up for sale is it using one of my spaces during this period?

4. Speaking of up for sale, when you go to the popup that lets you sell a boat there is a button that will show all your boats for sale. The boats are listed with some verbiage like Your boat zzzz sold for 12345  4 days ago.  This sounds very much to me like someone bought the boat. This does not appear to be the case because there is another button that says Remove from Sale and if you click it it will try to do just that. In my case however it cannot because it thinks I am out of dockspace.

5. I added a ship to fleet so I am essentially, sailing with 2 boats. If I come back to port and exit the game no problem. If I come back and try to Teleport the game wants me to break up the fleet. When I do it then complains about Out of Dockspace. How can this be? It was fine before I added the ship to fleet. I have not bought a new ship in that period.

6. This one has happened randomly. Several times I have sailed back to port. If I switch ships and sail out again everything is OK. If I come to port and then try to Teleport I get the Out of Dockspace message.

Early on I  lost several ships while using the fleet function. They were not sunk, I just didn't have them retreat at the end of combat and they just vanished. I think 3 ships in total before you guys helped me out with that one. I can't help but wonder if this is causing problems and if so how to correct it?

There is probably something I am not considering in all this, but it doesn't seem right. And yes, I am currently reducing the boat count as well as outposts so that maybe I can keep better tabs on things.

Your help will be appreciated.....

Edited by melarky

7 answers to this question

1. Yes docks are global, it doesn't matter where you are or where you expand them, you always have same amount of them

2. If I understand it correctly no. You don't get dock space with a new outpost. The limit is based on how many you have paid for - so 17 in your case regardless of how many outposts you have.

3. No - this releases a slot

4. You have to go to the port where you sold it and go to the ships tab in the shop to get your money if I remember rightly. (It's a while since I sold a ship, mostly I just give them to clanmates...or end up sinking in them :( )

5. You have to have one empty dockspace to teleport (For the ship you were in when you tried to teleport. If you have 17 ships and 17 docks, then you have no free space.

6. See answer to 5 above, you can sail out because you are removing 1 ship from the dock, therefore they are not full. If you try to telport your docks are full with 17 ships

Edited by woodenfish

5 hours ago, melarky said:

2. Can you sell a ship in a port where you don't have an outpost?

3. Hypothetical - let's see if I got all this. I have 3 ships and 3 dock slots, so I'm full. I fleet one of the ships, which now frees up a slot but technically I still have 3 ships and 3 slots. While the ship is fleeted, I buy another ship (I can do that right?) so 4 ships and 3 slots. But now I'm hosed because I can't unfleet the ship meaning I can't Teleport and I can't even change ships because the slots are full?

4. If I pull into a port where I do not have an outpost and try to buy a ship the game tells me I can't because I already have a ship. I learned this early on, so now if I see a ship to buy I sail to an outpost, buy a basic cutter, sail back to the port with the ship for sale, sell the cutter and then buy the ship. Is that the normal practice? Seems like I should at least get one opportunity to just fleet up the new ship with whatever ship I am on. Maybe I am missing something?

2. Yes, no problem. But you might have to walk back home.

3. Yes, exactly

4. Don't know whether this helps, but you don't need the basic cutter. You can put your ship on sale in the port where you don't have an outpost. Then you are without ship and can buy the desired vessel. NOW: instead of climbing aboard you immediately send the new ship to fleet. If you happen to have the perk, that is. After having done that you can rebuy your own ship from the port. :) 

29 minutes ago, woodenfish said:

4. You have to go to the port where you sold it and go to the ships tab in the shop to get your money if I remember rightly. (It's a while since I sold a ship, mostly I just give them to clanmates...or end up sinking in them :( )

Correct answers I think on all but this one. To remove the ship from sale, you have to go to that port but if it sells, the gold automatically goes to your account no matter where you are. 

2 hours ago, woodenfish said:

5. You have to have one empty dockspace to teleport (For the ship you were in when you tried to teleport. If you have 17 ships and 17 docks, then you have no free space.

I suppose, this is not completely true either. AFAIK if you have 17 slots and 17 ships you are still free to move and teleport. You can't craft one then, unless you are sitting aboard of  another. So, this way you can have 18 ships, but you can't teleport anymore, because you can't leave the ship. You can even have more if you put them in fleet. But of course you can't teleport then either.

Thanks all - I think that cleared up most of the problems. As Suppenkelle states I may have had 18 ships and 17 slots at one point. This limits some of the things I can do and even if I sell a ship, 17 ships and 17 slots will still limit a few actions. I usually try to "unfleet" my ships before I exit the game but maybe I forgot one time.

Last nite I actually got down to 15 ships (at least until I saw a Wappen for sale) so I will play around today and see what works and what doesn't.

A few more if I may

1. I'm still wondering if there is a way to get your Dock count. My next extension will cost 9,000,000g so I want to stretch the existing ones as long as I can.

2. Can you sell a ship in a port where you don't have an outpost?

3. Hypothetical - let's see if I got all this. I have 3 ships and 3 dock slots, so I'm full. I fleet one of the ships, which now frees up a slot but technically I still have 3 ships and 3 slots. While the ship is fleeted, I buy another ship (I can do that right?) so 4 ships and 3 slots. But now I'm hosed because I can't unfleet the ship meaning I can't Teleport and I can't even change ships because the slots are full?

4. If I pull into a port where I do not have an outpost and try to buy a ship the game tells me I can't because I already have a ship. I learned this early on, so now if I see a ship to buy I sail to an outpost, buy a basic cutter, sail back to the port with the ship for sale, sell the cutter and then buy the ship. Is that the normal practice? Seems like I should at least get one opportunity to just fleet up the new ship with whatever ship I am on. Maybe I am missing something?

Thanks again for your input. The replies are making a positive difference in my game.

1 hour ago, melarky said:

1. I'm still wondering if there is a way to get your Dock count. My next extension will cost 9,000,000g so I want to stretch the existing ones as long as I can.

I think the Devs gave a peek at the upcoming new Port UI which indicates how many ship slots you have available.