Game-Labs Forum

Boarding Suggestion

Over the years, many players have wished for a change to the boarding mechanics in Naval Action. Game-Labs already has a combat engine for their Ultimate General game. I'm wondering if something similar could be implemented into the boarding aspect of Naval Action. 

I've attached a screen shot from a strategy game by the developers of 'Pike & Shot' for illustrative purposes only. Imagine the crude outline around the combatants as representing their respective ships.

1. The boarding battle would be turn-based, with the attacker going first.

2. Each player would have a set amount of time to move his various troops, including their facing, before his turn ends. The timer is needed to keep the pace of the boarding action from bogging down - similar to a timer used in chess matches.

3. The results of each players turn are auto-resolved by the game until one of the players wins the boarding. As they do now, all boarding upgrades will have an affect on the outcome of each players turn (boarding ladders, barricades, muskets, marines etc.).

The goal of this idea being, to improve on the current "rock, paper, scissors" gameplay.

Naval Boarding.jpg

There is no doubt something need to be done with the boarding mechanic, and a fun and more elaborate mini game would be awesome. I think they had something in the working, but that might have been put on hold for more pressing features. 

Edited by Tiedemann
  • Like 1

I wanted to share Admins response to my post for those who may be curious as to when changes to boarding mechanics may happen. There was no hint given as to what changes would be made.

"Hello Captain

Boarding changes are not a priority at this stage
But once localization is done it will get into a top of the list"