Game-Labs Forum

Replace books with rares that may be lost

I used to play game where one of the "features" that I really liked was that it didn't matter if you had been playing for 10 years or 6 months. A pvp game where if you got killed most probably would have lost all your gear because another player had looted you.

So you could literally spend 2 months being succesfull in aquiring really hardcore set of gear only to loose it in 30 seconds. Sounds horrible?, maybe.. but on the otherhand  you could be on for 30 seconds and aquire gear that someone spent alot of time to get.

So kind of works both ways, and people got hooked.

In naval action, it's almost the same, you can spend millions of dubloons on a single ship with upgrades and such and loose it in 10 mins if your unlucky. I like that!.

Easy come easy go.

However.. books.. books can take along time to aquire and you never loose the knowledge, that is giving people who the upper hand without ever loosing that upper hand.

You might argue that, players who have been around and played alot should have some sort of upper hand compared to new players,

Yes they should, and they already do.. skillwise.

Skill is the best upper hand you can have towards another, no need for more.

People need something to grind for?

Just add more stuff.. more really rare maybe even unique really good stuff that can give you the upper hand (but only temporary, til you loose it)... but things that also are lost with your ship.

Rare paintjob, rare flags!, rare mods!, maybe even hidden reinforcements that you can use once and then it's gone, giving you ai reinforcements during a battle. Totally unexpected.

Also unique drops (only 1 in the game at the same time drops) needs to be used within for example 24 hours or you loose it and becomes a potential drop for someone else.

Edited by Liang Dao Ming

2 hours ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

Easy come easy go

Based on our experience here many think that would be true for player retention as well. As long as it's truly "easy come" I'm willing to try it.

2 hours ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

maybe even hidden reinforcements that you can use once and then it's gone, giving you ai reinforcements during a battle. Totally unexpected.

^this and all that "rare" stuff I will resist, hard.

May I ask why resist "rare" stuff?, just curious.

I just feel that anything that "permanently" makes your character better than new characters need to go.

To avoid "the more hours you put into the game, the superior you will be".

I think THAT will scare off alot of people who can't play 24/7, or if it won't scare them off it will however not encourage them to participate in PVP because they feel like all the pro's have the best upgrade, best ships etc etc.

Like i said previously I think the only thing that should make you more superior then a casual player is the fact that you have more experience in the game and probably more skilled.

But then again I am a casual player (normally) so my opinion could seem biased, but I can assure you it is not, personally I have no problem with the way things are, and as I enjoy the game alot i wouldn't want the playerbase to drop.

I want to encourage new players to go pvp (if they want), and in order not to discourage them I think it would be wise to eliminate "work hard and play everyday to get the stuff you need to even out the odds against the pro's".

Because the way things are, books are just permanent upgrades that won't be lost when you sink.

Give players who like to grind something else to motivate them.

With that said, I would also like to point out that I do no want to take away reward for players who put alot of time into the game, they should be rewarded.

Just not this way.

Edited by Liang Dao Ming

51 minutes ago, Liang Dao Ming said:

May I ask why resist "rare" stuff?, just curious.

I'm just special. My posting history is chock full of it, but TLDR; I hate PVE grind and what it does to the game.

• Like 1