Game-Labs Forum

(PvP) Patrol Missions

Hi,

I had an idea about a new type of mission could be implemented into this beautiful age of sail game:

If someone is tagged into a battle inside the waters of his own nation, then the game system generates a patrol mission. For example:

"Player A from Nation X is atacking a player B form Nation Y in the waters of nation Y"

Now such a mission is available, wich could sound like "Patrol Gustavia Area and sink the enemy captain B". It is a bit like bounty hunting with auto generated missions. Of course every damage to that captain brings much more rewards than default when the enemy has been sunk. That would be one more impuls to safe the homewaters and go to pvp. And it bring a strategic target in battles.

Edited by Sven Silberbart

31 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Why not just a patrol mission?

Why not organize it? Why have the sandbox game dictate what you should be doing instead of providing you with the choice?

I can image you would like to see some hand holding when you are a scrub, but at some point you have to stand on your own two feet (or ship).

2 hours ago, Skully said:

Why not organize it? Why have the sandbox game dictate what you should be doing instead of providing you with the choice?

The game should not dictate what to do, but offer opportunities/incentives for players to sail out and meet in battle without much (PVE) foreplay.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stilgar said:

The game should not dictate what to do, but offer opportunities/incentives for players to sail out and meet in battle without much (PVE) foreplay.

So if the game (or anyone else) would offer you a mission to sail out and PvP, you would do it instead of going PvE?

2 minutes ago, Skully said:

So if the game (or anyone else) would offer you a mission to sail out and PvP, you would do it instead of going PvE?

Yes, of course. I mean specifically clever PvP missions, cause sailing around to find PvP is one massive time sink.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stilgar said:

clever PvP missions

I'm afraid Clan AI doesn't have any good tacticians. ^_^

And any rule we give Clan AI (in this regard) is very predictable and can thus be exploited by the enemy tactician.

On 9/2/2017 at 7:28 PM, Sven Silberbart said:

Hi,

I had an idea about a new type of mission could be implemented into this beautiful age of sail game:

If someone is tagged into a battle inside the waters of his own nation, then the game system generates a patrol mission. For example:

"Player A from Nation X is atacking a player B form Nation Y in the waters of nation Y"

Now such a mission is available, wich could sound like "Patrol Gustavia Area and sink the enemy captain B". It is a bit like bounty hunting with auto generated missions. Of course every damage to that captain brings much more rewards than default when the enemy has been sunk. That would be one more impuls to safe the homewaters and go to pvp. And it bring a strategic target in battles.

I'm all for the generated content etc. This one is not ideal, but would not create anything negative. Unfortuantely it wont create much positive either.

Such attackers rarely comes in solo for player who took the generated mission to be able to face.

Also current "anti revenge fleet" mechanics makes it nearly impossibly to hunt the hunter. If missions tells you to sink captain B it will simply be an undoable task. Captain B can use invisibility and speed buffs to get away from lots of players hunting him, not just a single guy.

I think easier and better mechanic will be persobal criminal tag. Attacking player A from nation X and you get a crim tag. Sink/attack enough players and your approximate location is shown on the map until your personal hostility cools down. Anyone who sinks a player with criminal status gets extra reward in form of bounty.

Pirates have permanent crim tags.

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1