Game-Labs Forum

How Victory Marks could work.

I think the idea of rewarding each player of a nation depending on the nations success is genius, cause it could promote PvP, RvR, and acting for the nation in general. But just handing x Victory Marks to each player is way to simple... Its not fair, cause some players did more, some did less, some did nothing, and some are alts. Its not rewarding individual actions. Players are promoted to join successful nations, not to do more PvP and RvR. Especially for new players free tradable marks equal lots of free money.

How it could work:

1: Measure individual effort. Keep it simple. Take the kill counter, and extend it to "amount of BR sank/captured in PvP". Participation in a port battle provides extra boni. Maybe call it "National reputation points". Optional reputation gain for specific PvP could be increased, for example within your nations area (coast guard gets rewarded), or while a PB is active to reward screeners more.

2: Multiply Victory Mark costs and rewards. You cant hand out 0.25 marks, multiply all numbers by 100.

3: Bind marks, Permits and BPs to the character. The goal is to reward individual effort, not the rich guys and their alts sitting in port. Also people shouldnt be able to sell their marks or items only using marks, cause thats destroying the income-cost-balancing. It would make sense that ships including a permit cant be traded aswell. 

4: Remove permits from shipbuilding. The current system only works with tradable marks. In general it would make most sense that each player cares for his own permits, not the shipbuilder selling the ships. Add an additional slot to place the permit in, without permit the ship cant leave port. To trade the ship, players need to delete the permit. 

5: Fair distribution of marks. The winning nation gains a pool of 100 marks per active player (14 days). Each individual player gains Victory Marks = [player reputation / average reputation] * 100. I think other nations should be rewarded aswell with less marks per player, but thats another topic.

6: Balancing.  

7: Think it further.  Maybe reward economic actions aswell, to promote more people to craft for the nation. Each ship you crafted e.g. could grant a tiny amount of reputation when someone else (from your nation) sinks someone with it. I think we had this with XP already, did we? Should be easy to implement then. 

Tell me if i missed something, if you see problems, or if you got other/further ideas. Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

I made a suggestion in a different thread for balancing out the Victory points so that it doesn't favor large nations or those that sit on ports.  It should favor those nations with activity, and encourage large nations to fight each other.  I like your ideas in 5 and 7 above.  However, item 1 seems to contradict item 7, because casual players with limited time cannot focus on both things simultaneously with enough effort to gain anything of substance.

This is what I see happen with the Victory Marks.

Players will wait till last possible week to create an alt and slap it in the nation that is "winning".  Then when the map win happens and the marks are paid out, they will transfer those marks or whatever they want from that toon to their main, and delete the character or leave it and wait till the next "winner" is obvious then delete, and repeat.  

So those with 3+ alts will have a massive advantage, over those who refuse to dump that kind of effort or resources into the game.  

Thus making the alt abuse even worse. 

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

This is what I see happen with the Victory Marks.

Youve seen that i made this topic to think about a fair victory mark system, not rewarding alts?;) Comment on it, or let it be, but posts like this arent helpful.

1 hour ago, Jean Ribault said:

I made a suggestion in a different thread for balancing out the Victory points so that it doesn't favor large nations or those that sit on ports.  It should favor those nations with activity, and encourage large nations to fight each other.  I like your ideas in 5 and 7 above.  However, item 1 seems to contradict item 7, because casual players with limited time cannot focus on both things simultaneously with enough effort to gain anything of substance.

This suggestion is about a fair way to distribute Victory Marks within a nation, to promote PvP and RvR for the nation by rewarding players doing PvP and RvR. How conquest points work, or how many marks each nation should get, is a different topic i think. 

Its not contradicting, cause its not ment to force you into crafting. Reputation from those ships should be very minor compared with what you get from PvP and RvR. Its only ment to promote the shipbuilders to craft more for the nation.