Game-Labs Forum

Lost ship to fire and flooding because crew didn't change their stations

Cecil Selous

Today I decided to test the redeemable Indefatigable and did a master and commander flet mission. I wanted to test the performance at long range, demasting and close up. Everything went well with killing a Frigate, a Niagara and a Navy Brig leaving a Reno and another Navy Brig still alive. Piece of cake I thought. I slowly killed the Reno and while doing so I started to repair the Hull. This was the first time I noticed that not all of my crew members reassigend to the repairs. Even though I dissabled sailing and gunnery. The repair slot wasn't full and I had still many sailors left on sailing and gunnerey stations. Ok, a potential bug and I reported it.

The Reno started to sink and the Navy Brig got one lucky shot of and started a fire on my Indy. That's when the real trouble started. Only a portion of my Crew changed to survival. With the repair still going on I didn't had a suffiecient amount of men in both of them. Adding to that I had still crew on gunnery although it was still deactivated. I did a double check with activating and deactivating it again but nothing happend. The fire incresead and so did the amount of crew I needed in survival. As I slowly went into fireshock my men started to leave the repairs and went to survival but too slow and too late. I filled another report. Meanwhile the fire burned to my structure and hull and accelerated the flooding. Now I needed even more men on survival. But my gunnery crews were calmly standing next to their cannons. ;) Those 108 men on the screen never left their  gunnery station. Would have been a great help at the time I only needed 30 dudes on suvival or when I wanted to repair.

The last report also had a huge impact on my FPS and ping. Is it possible that this can have a negative effect on changing the stations.

Well, grats to the AI navy brig. killed me with one lucky shot. I wanted to get rid of the Indy anyway because It's not my kind of ship but I wanted to make profit in the process :)

20170704195335_1.jpg
online upload photos

I lost a privateer some time ago to a similar problem. But there I had always enough crew on survival. Back then I was set on fire and left my enemy. I sailed for more than 5 minutes without getting shot at but the fire couldn't be extinguished. In the end I sank due to structure loss. Never went into fireshock. This was also reported by me.

Edited by Cecil Selous

Did you have your repair on cause that looks exactly like you have your repair on and repair takes tops over any crew management.  It wouldn't have matter any way man you where cord out there. Also if your in fire shock and you are in it in the picture your crew won't move either.   Also are you running open mag?   That makes you really easy to catch on fire so you might not want to run it and stop trying to solo fleet missions.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

No open mag. Although I think a ship with it shouldn't be more prone to starting a fire. Just because the access to the magazine is improved doesn't mean that the ship is easier to set on fire. Instead an open magazine should be dangeroues if your ships starts to burn. The increased danger of the fire reaching the magazine and causing an explosion should be the main disadvantage of open magazine. But that's another subject.

The fleet mission was test man. It wouldn't have been a problem If I didn't get too cocky at the end and went in for a brawl so that they can chew on my hull hp too. But I never had the feeling of being in trouble. The reno was sinking and I popped a repair because I had a few men on survival and wanted to kill the remaining navy brig without being distracted by that. But then that lucky shot and fire started with repair already going. So I needed about 25 men on survival at that point. The screen doesn't show that those 108 men on gunnery never went anywhere even in the beginning when the fire was still small and they could have easily prevented the fire from spreading (bow chasers and not used broadside where already switched off before). All the guys in survival came from the repair. I know there is a fixed rate of how fast men change from one station to another. But how is this rate if the crew must relocate to two new stations from two other stations? Is it the same for both or do they interact and get in each other's way?

Anyway, I guess this is a simple case of really bad luck then and it was lost as soon as the fire started regarding the situation I was in. A fire negating your repair and also starting a flooding while your men run around confused and not knowing where to go first. :D So dismiss this case.

But to the other problem I encountered and which is maybe more important. First of all I see that I stated this wrong in my opening post. The repair where I already noticed that not every men was changing to repair was earlier in the battle. There was no fire involved and I had more than half hull hp at starboard and almost 100% at port. So I wasn't in any kind of danger and I popped it to see how much it would repair. But already there I could not get to 100% of the men required to repair on the station. I deactivated sailing and gunnery. Switched off port and starboard broadside as well as bow and stern chasers. But at one point nobody changed to the repair anymore although there were still some guys left and many men on sailing and gunnery (all greyed out). I don't have a screen for that but I F11ed it. As I saw another thread with a similar problem of crew being stuck and not reallocating and @Ink wrote to report it if we encounter those problems. So I did. I hope it helps.

EDIT: I still got rewarded for that fleet mission. It wasn't a succes and I went to the bottom of the ocean but I got the gold and xp from killing the other 4 ships. Working as intended?

Edited by Cecil Selous

Wild guess: maybe it is related to disabling reload and disabling gunnery. Could that toss the gunnery crew in a locked state?

7 hours ago, Cecil Selous said:

EDIT: I still got rewarded for that fleet mission. It wasn't a succes and I went to the bottom of the ocean but I got the gold and xp from killing the other 4 ships. Working as intended?

Yes. Any kill must be rewarded. :)

happened to me also in the indefatigable a couple of time, i was playing with default state of buttons: so gunnery, sail, and repair ON. i got on fire and survival start to growth and althought it was ON , no crew go on it. when i noticed it i was in fire shock so i turned off and on again all the buttons in panic and luckily crew start to extinguish fire. i was almost sunk by the structure damage btw.

i think its a bug related to survival on indefatigable and maybe other ships.

next time look at ur crew state when u fight. i have an eye on it during all the battles