Game-Labs Forum

Please help with battles!

Eskimo John

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with this game.  

I bought it with trading and battle in mind and although trading is good, battle is just not possible.

Every time I attack I go into the battle part but always the same thing happens:

I start the battle facing into the wind with no sails up (no mater what I was doing as as I went into battle mode) is this normal?

I can raise sail, either normal or battle sail, but my ship will not move. No matter how much sail i have I cant move.  I tried putting over the rudder to starboard and to port but nothing happens. I stay put, not being able to move at all, and either I am blown out of the water or my enemy just sails away.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I have wasted my money on this game!

Can anyone help?

Are you doing a mission or attacking NPC ships in the open world?

If you are in a mission their might be a bug, because it should place you at 90deg to the wind.

IF you are attacking in Open World then you are heading into the wind when the battle starts, so you will be into the wind when in the battle.  

If you are stuck in irons in a basic cutter, you have to depower your sails and cut your rudder one direction or the other and manual move your sail one way or the other.  It will back you up and kick you out of irons.  It will be slow and take time.  But cutters are HORRIBLE ships. 

If you get stuck in the wind with a basic cutter, do this:

1. Make sure you are in full sails.
2. Hit T to depower your jibs (front sails).
3. Double tap Z (this goes into manual sails, and sets your spanker - rear sail - to the left).  Steps 1-3 will cause you to go backwards.
4. Double tap A (this sets your rudder pointing to the left. Since you are going backwards, you will turn your nose right).

It may take a little bit of time, but you should eventually no longer be stuck in the wind.

When your nose is no longer pointing directly into the wind, do this

1. Hit T, this sets your jibs back to normal
2. Hit F, this turns Auto Skipper back on and will move your spanker to the correct position.
3. You should now be able to sail any direction you want, just don't get stuck again.

Always make sure you are going a decent speed before you try to turn through the wind, and don't go straight into the wind, always turn through it.

Edited by Prater

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all I have successfully recovered myself from Irons now. Fortunately when no one was near enough to give me a good pasting.  it took some time and I was very vulnerable whilst I was in irons.  Wind direction is Soooo important!!!  

• Like 1