Game-Labs Forum

General Lee?

If you win Antietam, you get Lee.  If you lose, you don't.  And, what's more, he's a max rank Lieutenant General, which gives some incentive to win the battle instead of skipping it. :) Same with Grant at Shiloh (and Sherman is a government buyable just before Shiloh, I think).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

If you win Antietam, you get Lee.  If you lose, you don't.  And, what's more, he's a max rank Lieutenant General, which gives some incentive to win the battle instead of skipping it. :) Same with Grant at Shiloh (and Sherman is a government buyable just before Shiloh, I think).

Holy crap! Seriously? I guess I never actually won Sharpsburg to find that out :P

Edited by Albert Sidney Johnston

3 minutes ago, Albert Sidney Johnston said:

While I'm already asking dumb questions, are there any free units the player gets, besides Forest's Cavalry as the CSA and the Iron Brigade as the Union?

Think you get McClellan after winning 2nd Bull Run (in preparation for his Antietam, I assume, heh) aside from those I listed.  Not sure if there's anyone else for either side, been a while since I managed to get further than that due to testing patches and restarting and such.

Just now, The Soldier said:

Think you get McClellan after winning 2nd Bull Run (in preparation for his Antietam, I assume, heh) aside from those I listed.  Not sure if there's anyone else for either side, been a while since I managed to get further than that due to testing patches and restarting and such.

Alright. Thanks so much for your help!

2 hours ago, Albert Sidney Johnston said:

While I'm already asking dumb questions, are there any free units the player gets, besides Forest's Cavalry as the CSA and the Iron Brigade as the Union?

Those are the only complete units you get. After all, this game is about creating your own army with unique unit histories. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wright29 said:

Those are the only complete units you get. After all, this game is about creating your own army with unique unit histories. 

Well said! I really do like having Forrest and the iron brigade as reward able units though. It makes them feel super special and I'm always proud to have them serve in my 1st Corps. A few real baddies to teach the others how it's done.

• Like 1

How could they not provide Lee? Seriously, wait until you win at Antietam? His best work with Jackson and Longstreet and you can't use him until this point. Major point of not purchasing. Back to Civil War II. Loved Ultimate General Gettysburg, but wondering about attention to detail in this game.

14 minutes ago, antsha62 said:

How could they not provide Lee? Seriously, wait until you win at Antietam? His best work with Jackson and Longstreet and you can't use him until this point. Major point of not purchasing. Back to Civil War II. Loved Ultimate General Gettysburg, but wondering about attention to detail in this game.

I think you're misunderstanding how this game works. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Admiral666 said:

I think you're misunderstanding how this game works. 

Ya. YOU are the general. Having the historical generals is sort of just a fun feature. If you like the Civil War and war gaming, you should pick this up. It's the best tactical AI I have seen in years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antsha62 said:

These comments are a bit shocking. This is seriously a fantastic tactical game. Don't let this one little thing ruin the game for you, please.

• 8 months later...

From the game code...

rewarditem/officer_south2br_rw_corps_kemperdivision_division.... ”......7...rewarditem/officer_south7d_xxx_corps_general_longstreet.....¡”......&...rewarditem/officer_south_anderson_hero......¢”......@...rewarditem/officer_south_aotp_corps_xxxdivision_2ndbrigade_ewell....£”......@...rewarditem/officer_south_aotp_corps_xxxdivision_6thbrigade_early....¤”......E...rewarditem/officer_south_aotp_corps_xxxdivision_cavalrybrigade_stuart.......¥”......B...rewarditem/officer_south_aots_corps_xxxdivision_1stbrigade_jackson......¦”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_archer_hero....§”......'...rewarditem/officer_south_armistead_hero.....¨”......<...rewarditem/officer_south_artilleryreserve__general_pendleton....©”......'...rewarditem/officer_south_barksdale_hero.....ª”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_garnett_hero.......«”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_hampton_hero.......¬”......&...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_anderson.......”......'...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_armistead.....®”......(...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_beauregard....¯”......#...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_bragg.....°”......*...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_breckinridge......±”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_dhhill....²”......#...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_early.....³”......#...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_ewell.....´”......"...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_hill......µ”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_jackson.......¶”......!...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_lee.......·”......(...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_longstreet....¸”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_pickett.......¹”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_stuart....º”......"...rewarditem/officer_south_hood_hero......»”......1...rewarditem/officer_south_i_corps_general_johnston.......¼”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_kershaw_hero.......½”......!...rewarditem/officer_south_law_hero.......¾”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_mahone_hero....¿”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_ransom_hero....À”......#...rewarditem/officer_south_rodes_hero.....Á”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_semmes_hero....”......(...rewarditem/officer_south_taliaferro_hero....Ô......$...rewarditem/officer_south_wilcox_hero....Ä”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_wright_hero....Å”..........rewarditem/recruits.....Æ”..........rewarditem/reputation.......Ç”..........rewarditem/weapon.......È”......&...rewarditem/weapon_carbine_1859sharps52......É”......$...rewarditem/weapon_carbine_burnside54....Ê”......-...rewarditem/weapon_gun_10pdr_ordnance_rifle_rf.......Ë”......,...rewarditem/weapon_gun_10pdr_parrott_rifle_rf....Ì”......'...rewarditem/weapon_gun_10pdr_tredegar_rf.....Í”......$...rewarditem/weapon_gun_12pdr_napoleon....Δ......(...rewarditem/weapon_gun_12pdr_whitworth_rf....Ï”......$...rewarditem/weapon_gun_14pdr_james_rf....Д......,...rewarditem/weapon_gun_20pdr_parrott_rifle_rf....Ñ”......$...rewarditem/weapon_gun_24pdr_howitzer....Ò”......)...rewarditem/weapon_musket_1842_palmetto_sb.......Ó”......#...rewarditem/weapon_rifle_lorenz54_rf.....Ô”......%...rewarditem/weapon_rifle_us_1855_58_rf.......Õ”......%...rewarditem/weapon_rifle_us_1861_58_rf.......Ö”......%...rewarditem/weapon_rifle_us_1863_58_rf.......×”..........

On 16 June 2017 at 4:09 PM, antsha62 said:

Lee wasn't on the battlefield as a commander until right before Antietam to replace Johnston it's not that far off, I think the game represents his introduction pretty well. All prior workings with Longstreet and Jackson were done from behind a desk in Richmond and he wasn't even supposed to be doing it.

11 hours ago, Sanny said:

Lee wasn't on the battlefield as a commander until right before Antietam to replace Johnston it's not that far off, I think the game represents his introduction pretty well. All prior workings with Longstreet and Jackson were done from behind a desk in Richmond and he wasn't even supposed to be doing it.

You might want to re-think this.

Johnston was wounded in the battle of Seven Pines/Fair Oaks, day two, (June 1st 1862.)   Davis appointed Maj Gen Gustavus Smith, Johnston's second in command, to manage the Army. That lasted a whole day when Smith did a whole lot of nothing to follow up the Fair Oaks/Seven Pines battle.  On June 2nd Davis appointed Robert E Lee in command and he immediately took to living in the field.  He was a field commander from the first of his appointment. His field headquarters are all plainly indicated in all battles from the day he was given command.

Those battles started with some skirmishing on the prior fields of Fair Oaks and Oak Grove on the south bank of the Chickahominy River, before he devised his right wing flanking movement that started the Seven Days Battles involving Mechanicsville, Gaines Mill, Savage Station, Glendale, then Malvern Hill ... and on for the rest of the war.

Lee had an extremely interesting career with the Confederacy to start with, being sent to such places as South Carolina, then to command the forces in the Ohio Valley, (where he actually retreated from forces under McClellan's command,) to the eventual desk job you mention, as President Davis' assistant before being appointed to command the Confederate forces.

• Like 2