Game-Labs Forum

Instead of removing the global chat, can't we adjust how we as players use it?

Right now global chat is a free-for-all. It's chaos. But that's because there is no limitation to how many times you can ask a question or use it. 

If global chat was limited to the use of labour hours to talk.

Each time you talk in global you use up 250 labour hours (examples only). This would still allow players (new/old) the chance to ask for help via pm etc. 

Global should be more like a global message bored for all to see. If any player gets punished for trolling or griefing make it the cost of using global all of there labour hours they have!!!

• Like 1

I think we can adjust and make Global work without any need for gimmicks.

The largest part of the population is very friendly when they chat in Global. Suddenly out of the blue the exchange of names and shaming and offenses starts the wall of text. Many players do indeed close global and leave it to the foul mouths.

So better is for the good language to take over and bring down the loud foul mouths on their own turf. The Global channel and the Game is for all of us, we simply allowed this "self anointed prophets of crap" to polute it at certain times, usually at the peak of Conquest.

Good manners always prevail. One doesn't have to befriend anyone to use good manners at all time. So, report, tell them to stop being a nuisance to the rest of us, etc. People follow examples not the loudest hooligan unless they are hooligan themselves.

I so wish global to stay, even if trading cross nation goes, but it build the game and cements the totally important social part. No toxicity please. Show the Devs we actually care.

Monkey, that is perhaps an even more terrible idea than actually removing global.

While i've done my fair share of global/battle chat trolling and rib poking, I can honestly say that it's nowhere near as a toxic as communities in other games.  I've played maybe 2-3 games of league of legends total and the chat in that game was the true definition of toxic and discouraging to new players.  Meanwhile they still have millions of players.  If you have a good enough game, people won't give a shit.  What goes on here in NA pales in comparison to some of the more successful games out there, the issues we seem to be having are overblown.  Ask for more volunteer mods if you need to, throw them a special fancy ship in return for their service, and punish the offenders.  Install an in game profanity filter than you can toggle on/off.  

Problem solved.

A feature I really like in World of Warcraft is the ability to make your own chat channels.  My guild has tank/dps/healer chat.  My old server had a self moderated channel for world pvp.  Was an awesome idea.  These are multiplayer games, we play to interact with other people, not isolate ourselves.

It's stupid to be wasting resources to turn off global/battle chat in an early access game at this point.  You have bigger issues to attend to.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 3