Game-Labs Forum

Tax economy buildings + unkeep fees

Hi

Instead limited economy as proposal by devs were destroyed by community here is my proposal:

Introduce tax system in game - (i know next job to do but maybe worth to try?)

Example:

Governors set up tax on all buildings in port (region) for example: range 10% to 30-40% maybe to avoid more problems like xteaming or acting against nation. Tax money could be use by governor (or automatically if reach certain amount in treasury) to upgrade port defence level and (or) economy level (each one more economy level boost production output in buildings by certain number)

Add to this weekly unkeep costs - lower than tax amount a kind of rent costs. Also there should be donate to treasury option for those rich players who want invest in port infrastructure and profit from it in matter of faster and smoother production or raw materials collection. At the end gave your enemy double motivation to attack the port (region) and mess with enemy nation eco-system.

Share your thoughts

• Like 3

All these proposals have one weak element in common: it is a game and players are not always playing. Breaks are common and the game kinda needs to be the same for them where they left, so a weekly taxation is not a good idea in my submission. Besides, the existing money cost for harvesting is already such a tax.

Using proceeds from that to into the pockets of a Governor is not a bad system, but be careful with weekly upkeep.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Snoopy said:

All these proposals have one weak element in common: it is a game and players are not always playing. Breaks are common and the game kinda needs to be the same for them where they left, so a weekly taxation is not a good idea in my submission. Besides, the existing money cost for harvesting is already such a tax.

Using proceeds from that to into the pockets of a Governor is not a bad system, but be careful with weekly upkeep.

In nature (and economy) money not vanish like we got now. Instead cost of production (or part of them - a tax) can fill port treasury and help to upgrade it.

Edited by Bart Smith

13 hours ago, Bart Smith said:

In nature (and economy) money not vanish like we got now. Instead cost of production (or part of them - a tax) can fill port treasury and help to upgrade it.

That is what Snoopy means, take either the full or part of the amount of the cost to "harvest" something and provide it to the Lord, Governor whatever the system will be for the ruler of the port and thus the ruler can use that gold instead of a weekly tax.

Dead against it. I do not want to "have a job" in game in addition to the job I have to earn my money.

Player controlled taxation (aka governor system) has proven to be bad. Besides who really likes to be a tax man?

That the game needs a money sink is apparent. The money generated by high end players goes nowhere - some players spend it on newbies while others hoard it and brag about it. Whereas new players (ranking up, investing into infrastructure) need gold the most, an established player (with outposts, buildings, ships etc set up) has no real need.

Instead of artificial means (although historical) what is the purpose of gold in this game for an established player other than to outbid the highest bidder on something rare?

Potentially (and by no means complete):
- Port defences - reason taxation was collected was transfer of funds from merchants (navy officers were seldom rich) to pay for fortifications against other navies - a nation decides how much money is spent on fortifications and thus makes coasts and towns safe against raiding
- AI Fleet defences - provision fleets for nation from captures and again this goes directly back into game play in how many fleets we see on the OW
>>> Rewards are generated for the highest contributions to get something back to players after a certain period (fireworks?) - more things that allow bragging than of actual use that are unique as rewards and not possible to gain in other ways other than to "offload" gold and surplus ships and are one-off use only
>>> After a certain level of (ridiculous) contribution the "opportunity" to unlock another outpost / building which adjusts over time to accommodate player base

Edited by Kesxex Rofux