Game-Labs Forum

Lack of Officers related to veteran surplus?

srgoens

So I have not spent a point on recon. Instead I've been pumping points into training and medical to try and build a veteran base. But I have noticed the stock of officers is completely void of any officers and I find I am forced with more than a handful of captains. This cuts into the effeciency of my units greatly. Are they related or is this something the patch has changed the dynamics?

You get a pile of new officers after each major battle.  Until then you can 'farm' majors by creating rookie brigades when your barracks are empty.  It will automatically generate a major to command it.  Set the number of troops to the minimum, and repeat until recruits or weapons run out. Then disband the brigades and the majors can be reassigned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16 février 2017 at 4:25 PM, Fred Sanford said:

You get a pile of new officers after each major battle.  Until then you can 'farm' majors by creating rookie brigades when your barracks are empty.  It will automatically generate a major to command it.  Set the number of troops to the minimum, and repeat until recruits or weapons run out. Then disband the brigades and the majors can be reassigned.

Don't you pay for the officers automatically assigned to your new units (as opposed to generated) ? I have read so from a few people.

If not this is an exploit that will surely eventually be addressed.

15 hours ago, Nicolas I said:

Don't you pay for the officers automatically assigned to your new units (as opposed to generated) ? I have read so from a few people.

If not this is an exploit that will surely eventually be addressed.

Reassignments after hiring does not cost anything. The camp menu just uses the least expensive officer capable of leading the brigade/division/corps. 

Farming majors is pretty unnecessary unless you're playing max size armies though; you get at least 20-30 officers in the camp after every major battle.

11 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

Reassignments after hiring does not cost anything. The camp menu just uses the least expensive officer capable of leading the brigade/division/corps. 

Farming majors is pretty unnecessary unless you're playing max size armies though; you get at least 20-30 officers in the camp after every major battle.

I agree, though Fred Sanford told that you automatically get majors (for free?) when you barracks are empty.

I just tried in game and you really get an officer from the academy and pay the price for it. So my point was they are not "generated" out of thin air but rather "assigned" (from the academy). So I prefer to assign them myself echoing experience and price instead of counting on random assignment.

11 hours ago, Nicolas I said:

I agree, though Fred Sanford told that you automatically get majors (for free?) when you barracks are empty.

I just tried in game and you really get an officer from the academy and pay the price for it. So my point was they are not "generated" out of thin air but rather "assigned" (from the academy). So I prefer to assign them myself echoing experience and price instead of counting on random assignment.

Yeah, that is built in to help people that lose their entire officer corps in one battle.

Problem with the officers from the academy in general is that they start with 0 experience into their current level, unlike the randomly generated officers that usually start with some amount of experience.

The Union officer situation is pretty hard, then turns bad, partway through the campaign.  By Stones River, more than half my available officers in the Barracks are Captains.  And what's more, Captains are literally the most pointless rank because you can only use them in Artillery and Skirmishers.

The Confederate officer situation is much better, though.  I have a much smaller amount of Captains, and a near-inexhaustible supply of Lt. Colonels, a perfectly respectable rank.

On 2/16/2017 at 1:25 PM, Fred Sanford said:

Should be in the guide/wiki 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

Yeah, that is built in to help people that lose their entire officer corps in one battle.

Problem with the officers from the academy in general is that they start with 0 experience into their current level, unlike the randomly generated officers that usually start with some amount of experience.

I disagree, the officiers in the academy have different range of experience and corresponding price tags.

Once more, they are not "generated" they exist and are automatically "assigned" unless you choose them yourself, what you can do the same way you select the arms to equip the new unit. Maybe when you let them be automatically "assigned" the system gives you the less expensive ones (less experienced) by default ?

Or are you talking about when both your barracks and academy are empty ? It never happened to me yet.

3 hours ago, Nicolas I said:

I disagree, the officiers in the academy have different range of experience and corresponding price tags.

Once more, they are not "generated" they exist and are automatically "assigned" unless you choose them yourself, what you can do the same way you select the arms to equip the new unit. Maybe when you let them be automatically "assigned" the system gives you the less expensive ones (less experienced) by default ?

Or are you talking about when both your barracks and academy are empty ? It never happened to me yet.

By the academy, I mean the ones you pull when you're out of officers to hire from the pool of both your barracks and the available supply, and by randomly generated, I mean the officers that are generated after every major battle.

They're randomly generated in that those officers that are created after every battle are not the same officers that you will find on another playthrough (except maybe the Brigadiers); the names and experience levels are randomly generated.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't run into the officer issue if you're not playing max size armies and you're not suffering a high casualty rate in your army. Even on my 120 brigade playthrough, the spare officers after every battle usually cover any KIAs that I have; there's a pretty constant rotation of officers in this respect.