Game-Labs Forum

The missing part in Naval Action Combat

Ahoy captains and dev captains,

I would love to see a more complex cannon management system
We should be able to select what we want to load in each deck on each side and if we want to put man on reload
on each. This way alot more skill and loading management comes in place and alot more complex setups are possible
In addition to this system we should add an earlier suggested idea:
Shoot with Space bar stop shooting when stop holding space bar (maybe with some delay)

To explain my suggestion ill use the santisima as example:

Santisima gun options in battle:

Left side and Right side
Bottom Gun Deck -    1 Chain
            2 Ball
            3 Grape
            4 Dubbel
            5 Charge
            6 No reloading (meaning no crew on reload and no reload)
            7 No shooting (The F5 function we have now)
Middle Gun Deck -    1 Chain
            2 Ball
            3 Grape
            4 Dubbel
            5 Charge
            6 Nothing 
Top Gun Deck -        1 Chain
            2 Ball
            3 Grape
            4 Dubbel
            5 Charge
            6 No reloading
            7 No shooting 
Weather Deck -         

Bow -            1 Chain
            2 Ball
            3 Grape
            4 Dubbel
            5 Charge
            6 No reloading
            7 No shooting 

Stern -            1 Chain
            2 Ball
            3 Grape
            4 Dubbel
            5 Charge
            6 No reloading
            7 No shooting     

Possible gun setup in battle:
Left side
Bottom Gun Deck -    2 Ball (enough penetration dont need charge)
Middle Gun Deck -    2 Ball (same)
Top Gun Deck -        1 Charge (to get more pen)
Weather Deck -         1 Chain (low dmg but usefull to slow enemy down)

Right side -
Bottom Gun deck -    4 Dubbel (passing enemies close on right side and want to do max dmg)
Middle Gun deck -       4 Dubbel (same)            
Top gun deck -        4 Dubbel (same)
Weather deck -        1 Chain (9pd low dmg but good to slow them down)

This way you can use your cannons in a more efficient way, higher skill capp to master the game, when you are low on
crew you can cancel reloading on the cannons that dont penetrated the enemy and have a better reloading on the cannons
that mean something etc. 
Maybe an option should allow you to choose between old system and new one (for new players and ships with only 1 deck)

Please reply with usefull feeback or suggestions about this idea, what you like, what you dont, what should be added or removed etc.
Also think about how this should be controlled - should we select it by mouse or keys? and how can we display it without costing to much
space on your screen. If you think the current system should be replaced but on a total different way also let me know.

Thanks for reading

Edited by Paulus de Boskabouter
  • Like 9

I am all for more control over the cannons however it also needs to be feasible code wise and not to much of a hassle to manage for large battles.

Now, I am interested in the way we arm our ships as in ship records and other historical documents tell us that, the cost of obtaining the cannons was quite a large part of the sums required when supplying a warship or a traders vessel for voyages.

It is also sometimes written that captains had to settle for smaller cannons as there was a shortage of large cannons, despite that ships might be able to carry 32 pounders they had to settle for 18 or 24 pounders due to shortages in supply. Some captains had to scrounge older pieces from forts to make due in times of need.

This would increase the cost of ships and might provide a reason to capture ships instead of sinking them as the enemy warships might carry cannons you need to arm yourself.

Also, if you had to obtain the actual quantities of cannons required for each deck it would make more sense to allow crafting/casting of cannons by players. This would also give more meaning to diversifying the crafting tree. And give certain regions fame for the casting of cannon pieces with different quirks.

I like the idea of reloading different decks with different charges, balls and chains at the same time. It just makes sense. 

But I also want the display of gun reloading icons to be vertical (left for port side and right for starboard), no horisontal. Sometimes it confuses the hell out of me, especially in the heat of the battle. Same goes for the ship icons. I normally look at my ship from stern side, so having ship diagram displayed vertically on left and right for the enemy would actually make more sense too.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, koltes said:

I like the idea of reloading different decks with different charges, balls and chains at the same time. It just makes sense. 

But I also want the display of gun reloading icons to be vertical (left for port side and right for starboard), no horisontal. Sometimes it confuses the hell out of me, especially in the heat of the battle. Same goes for the ship icons. I normally look at my ship from stern side, so having ship diagram displayed vertically on left and right for the enemy would actually make more sense too.

Lol you are not the only one hahah, makes you feel stupid sometimes. 

14 hours ago, Niagara said:

I am all for more control over the cannons however it also needs to be feasible code wise and not to much of a hassle to manage for large battles.

Now, I am interested in the way we arm our ships as in ship records and other historical documents tell us that, the cost of obtaining the cannons was quite a large part of the sums required when supplying a warship or a traders vessel for voyages.

It is also sometimes written that captains had to settle for smaller cannons as there was a shortage of large cannons, despite that ships might be able to carry 32 pounders they had to settle for 18 or 24 pounders due to shortages in supply. Some captains had to scrounge older pieces from forts to make due in times of need.

This would increase the cost of ships and might provide a reason to capture ships instead of sinking them as the enemy warships might carry cannons you need to arm yourself.

Also, if you had to obtain the actual quantities of cannons required for each deck it would make more sense to allow crafting/casting of cannons by players. This would also give more meaning to diversifying the crafting tree. And give certain regions fame for the casting of cannon pieces with different quirks.

I ve only heard possitive reactions and i think everybody would like to see something like I suggested, i also dont see that much of a problem (but i know nothing about coding), still i hope the devs will focus their time more on these kind of things - improving our battle experience instead of to much non-battle mechanics and thingys.

+1 for more cannon control per deck / side.

+1 for changing horizontal ship and cannon information on UI to vertical.

Would also love to see different qualities of cannons being available - along the same lines as qualities of ships. Better grades could give (quite small) bonuses to accuracy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, randomtaskkk said:

+1 for more cannon control per deck / side.

+1 for changing horizontal ship and cannon information on UI to vertical.

Would also love to see different qualities of cannons being available - along the same lines as qualities of ships. Better grades could give (quite small) bonuses to accuracy.

Also, repairing in battle should not give all cannons back. Some might be remounted and be made ready for action again but I very much doubt you could do larger repairs while in battle. After a battle you would be able to do more extensive repairs but if you been raked alot you would require a port to fully repair a ship.

15 hours ago, Niagara said:

Also, repairing in battle should not give all cannons back. Some might be remounted and be made ready for action again but I very much doubt you could do larger repairs while in battle. After a battle you would be able to do more extensive repairs but if you been raked alot you would require a port to fully repair a ship.

Yeah fully agree with that as well. Higher quality cannons could be able to take slightly more damage in battle before breaking; but only a certain % should be able to be fixed by repairing in battle. Remainder would require port repair as you suggest (or even purchasing new cannons from shop??).

well for a  first step for this scenario (how to do it;

to load for example only the upper deck ( F3) with grape 

when selecting the cannon load section just push  F3 and select the grape in the cannon loading screen (F3+3)(F3+mouse selection on grape)

if you want to load chain in the middle deck go to the cannon section by pushing 5 de cannon selection will show up when you see that, push F2 and select chain in the cannon ammo selection

and so on for the lower deck select what you want to load 

it does nt have to be difficult

perhaps a other suggestion (perhaps for a other thread ) added to this on 

when having marines on board they can be active for the swiffle cannons (max distance 30 meters and only for damage to crew)

for green 2 swiffle cannons at a side (begins at small frigate class 5 rate)

for bleu 3 swillfe cannons at a side  ( begins at 4 t rate )

for purple 4 swiffle cannons at a side  (begins at 3 rate)

for yellow 5 swiffle cannons at a side ( begins at 2 and first rate)

the are loaded only grape

See this as (little)bonus damage to crew  if you have the marines on board and 

ps:  to give example when sailing a first rate with green marines you have 2 swiffle cannons on that ship 

when sailing a 4 rate with gold marines it has 3 swiffle cannons on a side

when sailing 6 rate you have one swiffle gun at the back a side  there wont be needed marines as well 

when sailing a 7 rate  no swiffle guns even when marines on board

BENEFITS:

there  fore the marines on board when (not boarding) in battle have given use 

the missing swiffle guns are added to the ship

damage ration, is 1 to 5 max crew on a broad fired in close range max distance within 30 meters ,damage to sails and upperdeck

Edited by Thonys