Game-Labs Forum

Have you played........

Keepbro

I do this in many of the forums that I frequent - I like to see what games people like to play and sometimes its nice to find other little gems out there like this one. In short just simply post a game that you've played that you think other people may not have heard of or played and why you like it. If possible link to the games website.

So..... I'll start - 

Have you played Dominions 4 - in many ways it does kind of remind me of this game - simplistic graphics but oh so much fun when you get into it and start casting some of the truly unpleasant spells. For those who know nothing - you are a god trying to kill all the other gods and you do this by building castles and armies and shit tons of mages and then having hilariously silly battles involving wyverns and giants and spider riders and whatever - the winner is the last god standing. Spells can be tiny or world spanning global pandemics (blanketing the world in darkness or creating a second sun in the sky - biblical shit basically).

I found out on this forum, well the one for Gettysburg, led me to Naval Action.

What I have found is when you get a group of guys that you play with in one game, it's often very difficult to get all the same group of guys to play something different. It could either be due to interests, or some sort of software/hardware issues.

I generally lean towards historical, and simulation. I'm not attracted to fantasy games so much which there seems to be an over abundance of.

Has anyone played Rule the Waves?  It's a naval game set in the dreadnought era where you manage your nation's fleet.  It has a ship designer, so you can design your own ships (and watch the technology rapidly advance) and engage in a naval arms race with the other powers.  When war breaks out, there's a tactical battle generator that you use your fleet to fight it out- anything from fleet battles to single ship duels and cruiser actions, etc.  Don't get it for the graphics, though.  Very basic interface and graphics, but there's a surprisingly deep combat model behind it, as well as the ship designer and technology.  There's videos up on YouTube.

It is actually something akin to what I'd like to see the Ultimate General series develop into.  Say instead of just the ACW, you were 'chief of the army' for one of a variety of nations.  Your "Camp" turns would involve building, equipping, and deploying your forces to guard your nation's territory and/or interests.  Every once in a while, a war would break out, and you'd have to fight some battles produced by a battle generator using the forces you've developed.  You could research technology and purchase new equipment, and make decisions about whether to have a large conscript standing army, or a smaller professional force, militias, etc.

The best fighting game I have come across so far in life is Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far, the game is fast paced and excellent, anyone who hasn't tried it yet really should. Although sadly the game is pretty dated now and the newer releases aren't as on point. I'd fully recommend it to anyone looking for a wartime experience.

DoorKickers - the closest you will get to the old SWAT games. Sadly the Rainbow Six-series has turned into a slightly more difficult arcade/esports shooter and the SWAT series ahs been dead for many years. But DoorKickers will give you the planning phase and action of old tactical shooters in strategy topdown view form. Rinse and repeat until you finally managed the bloody aircraft assault school with three stars.