Game-Labs Forum

Remove nation titles, add flags to open world.

Hey.

I would like suggest removing the ability of clicking on a ship and seeing what nation they are. This could especially be fun ifnations get certain painted ships (which would make paint VERY valuable considering you can impersonate another nation with paint)! So to see what nation a ship is, you'd need to use your spyglass. I do not know how contraband traders would be distinguished from normal traders, discuss that bellow.

I find this would give a way better 'open world' aspect and would make the game more realistic. It would also enhance the need for communication between nations and coast guards. Especially traders would love this. In theory nations could even agree on a certain signaling type to define friend from foe, just like it was historically. However, I would definitely not make every flag aviadiable to every person. I find they should be earned like paint and/or a rare item.

It's a stretched suggestion but I definitely think this would be a good and realistic feature if implemented.

P.S An animation visible to everyone of you raising/lowering a certain flag would also be great.

Fix on how contraband goods / any goods could be detected (quoted from bellow)

9 minutes ago, stormridersp said:

You don´t, but if its an enemy ship, any cargo that it carries makes it a 'contraband' and, back then, one could easily recognize when a ship was carrying a cargo just by looking at its draught:

stodugleiki_11.jpg

So, I´d say that the recognition mechanics could work like this:

From farthest to closest:

1- Maximum Visual Range: Man-of-War or Trader Ship

2- Mid-Rage: Shallow or Deep Draught

3- Close Range: Nationality

Edited by Lz3
  • Like 7

If we could name our ships, then we would have to maneuver to enemy stern side to see name thru spyglass, or perhaps recognize the ship by the paint scheme and sails and open world flags on ships of nation and clan.

The devs just need to implement OW flags, naming of ships, and crafting our own paint schemes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonSnowLetsGo said:

How do you chat to other people then if you cant see their name and cant click on them?

How do you know if its a NPC or a real player?

How do see which fleets they have?

Sounds interesting, but doesnt fit into this game imo.

You read my post wrong.

I do NOT mean removing the name, private chat and group invite features, I just would like to see the nation indicator removed.

• Like 1

Great idea.

But apparently having flags in open world is beyond the game engine's capability.

The suggestion to have an alternate way to identify a ships nationality was proposed previously. But I do not think that the developers have any will to implement it.

On 12/24/2016 at 11:51 AM, Lz3 said:

Hey.

I would like suggest removing the ability of clicking on a ship and seeing what nation they are. This could especially be fun ifnations get certain painted ships (which would make paint VERY valuable considering you can impersonate another nation with paint)! So to see what nation a ship is, you'd need to use your spyglass. I do not know how contraband traders would be distinguished from normal traders, discuss that bellow.

I find this would give a way better 'open world' aspect and would make the game more realistic. It would also enhance the need for communication between nations and coast guards. Especially traders would love this. In theory nations could even agree on a certain signaling type to define friend from foe, just like it was historically. However, I would definitely not make every flag aviadiable to every person. I find they should be earned like paint and/or a rare item.

It's a stretched suggestion but I definitely think this would be a good and realistic feature if implemented.

P.S An animation visible to everyone of you raising/lowering a certain flag would also be great.

100% agreed!

I think the visual identification of ships should be done by the players themselves and the nation´s and cargo content of the ships sailing in OW should be restricted to a very close range. It would make OW a lot more immersive. Its just too dull that one can know that a ship has contraband by looking from so far away.

People would have to at least investigate their targets before closing in and engaging.

Edited by stormridersp
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, stormridersp said:

100% agreed!

I think the visual identification of ships should be done by the players themselves and the nation´s and cargo content of the ships sailing in OW should be restricted to a very close range. It would make OW a lot more immersive. Its just too dull that one can know that a ship has contraband by looking from so far away.

People would have to at least investigate their targets before closing in and engaging.

Indeed, but I wouldn't know how to indicate if a ship holds contraband or not.

5 minutes ago, Lz3 said:

Indeed, but I wouldn't know how to indicate if a ship holds contraband or not.

You don´t, but if its an enemy ship, any cargo that it carries makes it a 'contraband' and, back then, one could easily recognize when a ship was carrying a cargo just by looking at its draught:

stodugleiki_11.jpg

Edited by stormridersp
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, stormridersp said:

stodugleiki_11.jpg

I never thought of the draught. I thought it would be quite the problem due to not being able to see the cargo. Will add that to post! Thanks

Edited by Lz3

On 12/25/2016 at 3:28 AM, JonSnowLetsGo said:

How do you chat to other people then if you cant see their name and cant click on them?

How do you know if its a NPC or a real player?

How do see which fleets they have?

Sounds interesting, but doesnt fit into this game imo.

The easiest thing can be done yet effective, fun and interesting at the same time is all observation needs to be done through spyglass.

There should be different quality spyglasses. The better the glass greater the distance it provides the info. Some info can only be obtained through best glass, such as permanent upgrades installed on the ship as this should be visible.

Standard info obtained from any glass is ship's type, name and speed. Specific info like upgrades obtained through special quality glass. Nation flags are not changeable, but other interactive flags should be available for basic communication. Ships that are close to each other can chat and trade in OW. This will also provides extra tools for pirates to demand ransom and traders to avoid loosing their ship and cargo 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2016 at 1:15 AM, koltes said:

The easiest thing can be done yet effective, fun and interesting at the same time is all observation needs to be done through spyglass.

There should be different quality spyglasses. The better the glass greater the distance it provides the info. Some info can only be obtained through best glass, such as permanent upgrades installed on the ship as this should be visible.

Standard info obtained from any glass is ship's type, name and speed. Specific info like upgrades obtained through special quality glass. Nation flags are not changeable, but other interactive flags should be available for basic communication. Ships that are close to each other can chat and trade in OW. This will also provides extra tools for pirates to demand ransom and traders to avoid loosing their ship and cargo 

Now that's an idea. But, unlike ships now, I find spyglasses that are higher quality should actually be difficult to craft?

• Like 1