Game-Labs Forum

Phantom boarding

Top Quat

I was in a rear admiral fleet mission with a couple of clan mates. I was sailing a Bucentare and passed close canons bumping each other) distance from a Santisma at a good rate of speed.

I was quite surprised when I heard the boarding bag pipes start! I immediately looked at my speed which was showing as 4.5 knots.

Sorry, I was too flumoxed to grab a screen shot.

I thought that a boarding action couldn't begin unless both ships were under 3 knots?

However, after reflecting on this for a while, I may have an answer.

I live out in the countryside which means I get to deal with a second (or third) rate ISP using a wifi-broadband connection. When it's working properly it gives me 5mbps down and 2.5mbps up comm rates. However, it doesn't always work so well. Data rates often plummet or the connection drops out all together. Sometimes for several seconds (or more). Sometimes very briefly.

I've noticed that when I'm having connection issues my screen often stutters with my, and the other ships, jumping wildly about in a battle. In the open world this manifests itself by my ship stopping followed by a burst of warp factor speed until my ship gets to the position where it is supposed to be.

During the battle where I got boarded at 4.5 knots, I had had some mild positional glitching suggesting my connection to NA was not going as smoothly as I'd like.

Is it possible that while I was next to the AI Santisma a comm glitch brought my speed down for and instant before previous speed was resumed and that was just long enough for the boarding-ready AI Santissma to initiate boarding, though when I looked at my speed it read 4.5 knots?

I was pretty fried about getting my Buce capped.

Or is 4.5 knots under the max capture speed for an AI Santi to start boarding a play Buce in a rear admiral fleet mission?

TQuat

Well AI sometimes can bend the game mechanics a bit (unintentionaly), like they can sometimes immediatly fire after a crew shock, which would leave a real player unable to reload its guns, but the AI just appears to keep on reloading during crew shock and fire it the second cooldown is over. Once flipped a ship capping another ship (both AI), and the flipped ship sank to the bottom and still continued the boarding (and won).

Could be your connection, could be just a broken mechanic, hard to say. Did you report it? All in all I find the boarding unpredictable at times, sometimes your slow and close enough but the angle seems off, and sometimes you think well this I screwed up this boarding attempt, en it still gives you the pull option. Very impredictable.

I also vaguely remember we once had a officer perks or something that increased the speed at which you could board eachother. But I don't know if this is my imagination or something that was removed. Non the less wouldn't make sence in AI using it.

Your speed is calculated server side afaik, so this is not on your ISP. 

However I've seen this before and the way you describe it I believe I know what happened. When you pass by so close that cannons pass through each other, there's often a soft ram or bump between the ships that means they actually get entangled for a few seconds. Even though it is not a head on ram they will both loose speed. If you've ever tried two ships ramming each other head on while both are turning the same way, you will often see both ships loose momentum for a half second before regaining it as they turn. Looking at the speed on the compass it will be a bit erratic in that short time and may sometimes drop by quite a bit before going back up to about the speed you had before impact. 

If your speed dropped down below 3,5 for even a fraction of a second, the AI will be able to capitalise on that. I recommend never sailing so close to enemy AI.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 1

Captain Anolytic is right.

4 hours ago, Anolytic said:

Your speed is calculated server side afaik, so this is not on your ISP. 

However I've seen this before and the way you describe it I believe I know what happened. When you pass by so close that cannons pass through each other, there's often a soft ram or bump between the ships that means they actually get entangled for a few seconds. Even though it is not a head on ram they will both loose speed. If you've ever tried two ships ramming each other head on while both are turning the same way, you will often see both ships loose momentum for a half second before regaining it as they turn. Looking at the speed on the compass it will be a bit erratic in that short time and may sometimes drop by quite a bit before going back up to about the speed you had before impact. 

If your speed dropped down below 3,5 for even a fraction of a second, the AI will be able to capitalise on that. I recommend never sailing so close to enemy AI.