Game-Labs Forum

Morale doesn't make sense to me

Riekopo

Morale in this game is really weird. It seems like units only have full morale if it's their first battle. Does morale carry over to the next battle? It seems like morale depletes extremely quickly and easily and then it never again restores. It just seems like a pointless mechanic if it's just going to be super low all the time anyway.

Yes, the units do not replenish their statistics between 2 phases.  In the guide, under the chapter Basic Gameplay Factors, there are useful details about morale and condition. 

Where is this guide? Is it in the game somewhere? Ok so what about it being low pretty much the entire game? It seems like the General doesn't do anything to raise it and the units don't seem to ever recover their morale. They just become nearly useless because they can't stand and fight. Also, morale as a percentage isn't very immersive. I think it would be better if words were used to describe the morale condition or maybe both.

Morale is really tricky, Some key tactics I suggest are this.

1) Place units next to other units. Units fight better when fighting next to other units.

2) Fall back when units get below 15. if you stay and fight any longer you risk having your Brigade rout and you will have hard pressed time getting that brigade to fight worth anything if they rout. Your number one goal is to NEVER let a Brigade rout. Fall back even if you lose a VP.

3) Never attack long distances, press forward in short spurts. Rest your Brigade then press forward again in short marches. When you do move forward bring up your entire battle line. If you march units forward without support on their flank they will lose morale very fast.

4) Press the attack when the Enemy begins to rout from battle. When the enemy begins to Rout move your units forward. Your troops will gain Morale when the enemy begins to run away. If you press to far though you will lose morale so do not get greedy. Fall back when you begin to lose morale.

5) Flank where ever possible. A unit on the enemy flank and shooting enfilade fire down the line will gain Morale knowing they are inflicting heavy losses on the enemy. But if they are too far from your battle line they will lose Morale. Its a fine line on how far to flank.

6) Bring up your General to the area that is in heaviest conflict. Your General will give your army a slight boost when ever a Brigade is within the circle of influence. This slight boost helps, also the better the general the better the boost. Not all generals are equal.

7) Bring up your Cannons to support your line as you move. Place your cannons on both your left and right flank place some in the rear and place one or two in the front line. Do not group your cannons in one spot. Using your cannons is key to watching enemy morale sink and yours soar.

8) Anchor your Army around your strongest Brigade. Lead your attacks with the 3 star Brigades. Place your army around them. Use your 3 star brigades like elite crack units. Do not waste them and get them killed for no reason. If they begin to rout your army will soon follow.  If you have 3 or more enemy brigades shooting 1 of your brigades fall back keep falling back let them chase you. They will tire out running forward way before you tire out falling back.

9) Units will gain morale faster if you DO NOT use hold. Have your Brigade fall back far enough they can rest without using the Hold. Only use Hold as a last ditch effort to hold ground while you bring up support. If you do not have any support coming. Never use hold. Fall back your Brigade and save their strength let the enemy press the attack they will weaken. If you fall back properly you can counter attack and retake lost ground.

10) Use high ground and trees accordingly. They give your men a boost of morale standing on a hill or in woods. Standing in open you will see your men crumble. Use terrain and you will hold your morale longer.

11) Only charge Brigades forward when you are about to break the enemy. Never charge into a fresh enemy brigade. Never charge if the enemy is not close to routing. I only press Charge when I see the enemy begin to waiver. Charge is meant to be a shock to cause waivering units to flee. Not Fresh units. Also use the charge button to reset the time. If the timer is running out and you have not yet won. Simply click Charge then click Halt this will reset the timer and allow you more time before the match ends.

I hope some of this helps. If you need more help PM my steam account REB_Blunt and ask questions I am always ready to help people, teach different methods and techniques. Be open minded too. Every battle takes different ideas to overcome and achieve victory. Good luck and see you on the field of battle.

• Like 4

In other words the R.E.B. Blunt's list is a n excellent strategic and tactical guide. Blunt I suggest to make a new topic and place it in OP.

I agree Blunts List is great, those 11 suggestions are very informative/helpful.

That would be a Great Idea! A Strategic n Tactical Thread/Topic....

This would give ppl a place to discuss/learn about the game...throw ideas around.

It would also be a great place to point new Players too. It can be a bit trying when starting/Learning a new game.

There is a lot to learn, It's quite a chore managing your Corps when a full Battle is Raging.

There lots of fun to be had here,(SP Historical Battles/Custom Battles/MP Friends Challenge/UGG Tournament is now underway).

Plus its a learning experience with Military history/ACW...

This is a mature community IMO, with ppl wiling to help others as seen with the different posts in this Forum/Steam's.

This benefits us all, helping new players. Easing new players into the game.

• Like 2