Game-Labs Forum

Replace Wars/Alliances with "Letter of Marque"

Just an idea from the real world, as the colonies in the new world would be "outside" of local politics in Europe.  Wars would still spread to the colonies, although the colonies being so remote, these wars would take different forms than they did in Europe.  England or Spain would send large fleets to blockade ports or hunt down enemy fleets.

The current wars, at least on the PvE server, is pointless.  With the last patch, the introduction of Fine Wood RNG drops, and the lack of resources for some nations, crafting and trading has become somewhat of a nightmare.

I suggest you drop the voting for alliances or for wars, and replace this with a "Letter of Marque" against a nation. 

This could take the form of a price in Gold for buying a Letter, which would be needed for attacking other nations. 

I believe this would result in:

1. Trading to be a "Free to Play" endeavour, where you're safe when trading.
  2. Each nation would have "Letters of Marque" for purchase against any other nation.  Buying one would give you a Privateer Flag, which in turn would mean any other nation might attack you, and you can attack the nation specified by the Letter.
  3. This would mean a quite different PvP design, as all are safe from attacks while trading unless they have the Privateer Flag raised.  On release this could take the form of "Premium time" for purchase, which would give the player a "General Letter of Marque" against all other nations.
  4. I realize that this will mean less PvP battles against "innocent noobs", but it would separate PvP'ers and PvE'ers to the extent where they possibly could live together on the same server.  This would mean the same access to the game for both hardcore gamers, and casual players.
  5. In my opinion this would make trading reach all regions of the map.  All players would have equal access to resources, although some kind of export/import tax system could be implemented to make some nations benefit from national resources, in order for the choice of nation to still be an important factor.  Wars in Europe could be also be added, to make taxes less static.
  6. Both PvP'ers and PvE'ers would benefit from this, as more people would trade, which means more crafting, which means better ships, which means more battles (at least in my opinion).
  7. Port Battles could still be a factor, but more of a sacking of settlements, and plunder of resources, rather than conquer of ports.
  8. Smuggler Flag could also be expanded to meaning you could enter all ports belonging to any nation, but would also mean you could be attacked by PvP'ers.  Although this would not be my preference until you could see the effects this system would have on the PvP activity.

I believe this could make economic design easier, as trade would be conducted on a larger scale, and the whole map could be used more effectively.  This could also mean an end to NPC production of crafting materials.

I do believe that nobody ever had elections on what wars to start anyways...  But, just a thought...

• Like 2

My idea was the most realistic one so far. You are right that people dont vote for war but in a republic they often to cast votes based on fear of or acual war.

There needs to be a hostility level that raises and lowers based on pvp and pvp and missions of one faction vs another.

If people in france keep sinking english players then war breaks out and ports can be captured , once hostility fall under a number peace breaks out. Allies could happen naturally then instead of 1 large clan making the choices for everyone.

Now that we know that hostility can be put in a game a dont know why we dont do it this way

A good idea, but a few questions.

- The Letter of Marque is needed to provide a private Captain with the authority and permission of one nation to attack ships and conduct hostile actions against another. This would assume that in the game we are all private captains and none of us part of a Navy.

Unless the "career" path was something you could choose when you create your character. To either be a Naval Captain or Privateer.

A Naval Captain would have access to 2nd and 1st rates as well as specific missions and rewards, but would only be able to fight enemy shipping in open war unless they flew a privateer, smuggler or pirate flag. In the interests of not limited this, you could attack someone, but it would give you a privateer or pirate flag for X amount of time.

A Privateer would have access to ships up to 3rd rate and below and would need to buy a limited time letter of marque to attack a specific nation. You would also receive missions aimed at a privateer style role.

I also like the idea that war is something that occurs naturally if hostility levels between two nations reach a certain amount through the actions of privateers, causing a war and thus the national navies come into play.

The downside of this system is that unless there is war, there is little a Naval Captain could do, unless PvE does not apply the same rules in which case Naval Captains can increase hostility by attacking enemy NPCs. Either way, Privateer sounds more fun.

• Like 1

To me the Letter of Marque should be a pirate thing.  If you have one for a nation you can be a Privateer for that nation and a pirate for all other nations even if that nation has an alliance with the nation you have a letter for.  Your letter is for only the country that it's origin is at war with.   If you don't have one than your a Pirate/outlaw for all nations any way.

Now for nations could get a Letter of Marque to but it's only to fight the other nations Enemy if they don't match the same nations your at war with.    This will cut out some of these super power alliance that not just every one can jump into another nations port battle just cause they have an alliance with them.   Though I would just prefer they keep it to a pirate thing.