Game-Labs Forum

Ship quality/Upgrade slots

If a shipbuilder built 2 Constitutions, and one was of inferior build quality in regards to wood type, speed, armor, etc., how, and why then, would that have any bearing on the ships ability to crew Marines and Powder Monkeys plus have Pellew's Sights and a Steel Toolbox aboard?

To their credit, the developers have gone to great lengths to be as realistic as possible in regards to the look of each ship, it's armament and sailing characteristics. But it seems illogical and unrealistic for one of two ships of the same size to have the ability to fit itself with specialized crew but not the other, or, with both having the identical cargo space, one not being able to carry a Steel Toolbox - all based solely on the build quality of the ships. 

I would suggest that each and every ship have the same number of upgrade slots regardless of build quality, especially considering that we have, at most, 5 temporary slots and 3 permanent slots with 20 + upgrades to choose from. 

The decrease in armor, speed and other physical attributes of the lesser quality ships should be enough of a penalty to the player that owns them while giving more than enough advantage to a player in a better quality ship. 

• Like 1

If a shipbuilder built 2 Constitutions, and one was of inferior build quality in regards to wood type, speed, armor, etc., how, and why then, would that have any bearing on the ships ability to crew Marines and Powder Monkeys plus have Pellew's Sights and a Steel Toolbox aboard?

To their credit, the developers have gone to great lengths to be as realistic as possible in regards to the look of each ship, it's armament and sailing characteristics. But it seems illogical and unrealistic for one of two ships of the same size to have the ability to fit itself with specialized crew but not the other, or, with both having the identical cargo space, one not being able to carry a Steel Toolbox - all based solely on the build quality of the ships. 

I would suggest that each and every ship have the same number of upgrade slots regardless of build quality, especially considering that we have, at most, 5 temporary slots and 3 permanent slots with 20 + upgrades to choose from. 

The decrease in armor, speed and other physical attributes of the lesser quality ships should be enough of a penalty to the player that owns them while giving more than enough advantage to a player in a better quality ship. 

I would agree to this solution only if the game gets rid of all possible PERKS.

Consider the crafting costs of an Exceptional ship for example. A lot of Fine Woods which are really rare,Silver and Gold,additional labor hours.

Now imagine an attack with such Basic ship on an Exceptional.An experienced player in Basic vs unexperienced in Exceptional.Go figure the outcome.

Basically you are complaining about the same thing, like all other players,which are too lazy,or have lack of patience, to craft or find some Fine Woods,Gold,Silver,whatever it takes, to make their own Mastercraft or Exceptional ship.And it is the lack of FINE and RARE goods.

You just packed it up into this surreal idea of making us all equal.

If there is a need to make us all EQUAL,then all PERKS should be removed,and there should be no possibility given,to make any other ships then BASIC ones.

But then,someone will come up,sooner or later,and give us more ideas..

For example..." Why can`t we make better ships,get additional skills,bonuses,etc".

Now imagine an attack with such Basic ship on an Exceptional.An experienced player in Basic vs unexperienced in Exceptional.Go figure the outcome.

Completely irrelevant statement for this discussion.

Consider I don't know how to drive, but my friend (for some reason) lend me his Ferrari for a couple of days. And I just will take it to the racing track to race this guy in Ford Focus. Imagine the outcome if I don't know how to drive? And how is it relevant to the fact that I can find a place for a steel toolbox both in Ferrari and in Ford Focus?

OP statement is completely relevant. Let ship quality affect base ship stats (speed, hull strength, thickness, etc) but placement of SUCH modules as toolbox shouldn't be affected by ship quality - this is just wicked.

Some modules like Marines, for example, shouldn't even exist. You should be able to hire marines like crew is being hired currently. This shouldn't be controlled by some MAGIC module that transforms part of you crewmen into soldiers. And only if you are lucky enough to stamble upon yellow Marines module will you be able to effectively employ melee tactic in battle. 

Edited by Vaan De Vries

Basically you are complaining about the same thing, like all other players,which are too lazy,or have lack of patience, to craft or find some Fine Woods,Gold,Silver,whatever it takes, to make their own Mastercraft or Exceptional ship.And it is the lack of FINE and RARE goods.

You just packed it up into this surreal idea of making us all equal.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Captain Fenris. I believe you've missed the point I'm trying to make. Someone's being lazy or not being lazy has nothing at all to do with the idea of allowing every ship the same number of upgrade slots, regardless of build quality. I craft as well, and no, the simple fact that I craft also has nothing to do with the idea I'm suggesting. 

I wouldn't mind if they linked the quality of upgrades to the quality of the ship, as in; Basic and Common ships could install only Basic and Common upgrades, Fine quality ships could install everything up to Mastercraft. Mastercraft and Exceptional ships could install any and all quality upgrades available. But to punish a player by limiting his ships access to the number of upgrade slots available - just because of the quality of his ship - seems illogical and highly unrealistic to me.

And yes, this would make us equal only in regards to the number of slots available, nothing more. That, in turn, would put  a little more emphasis on the skill of the player in determining the outcome of a battle, and less emphasis on one players' having an extreme advantage of 5 upgrade slots against a player with 1 upgrade slot in determining the outcome of a battle; emphasis on player skill being an idea advocated by many veteran Naval Action players for a very long time. 

• Like 1