Game-Labs Forum

General Feedback (v1.0) UPDATE 22/10/2014 *PLEASE READ*

Nick Thomadis

I've noticed that once you are the top rank in multiplayer, you can only go down on the leaderboard (at least for me). I originally reached #9, and a few weeks later while still actively playing and never losing any battle, I didn't increase in the leaderboard at all. Instead I started the game the next day to find someone else was somehow placed above me and knocked me down a couple of spots. The last time I checked I am now around #18-19 on the leaderboard but still have the top rank. Forgive me if this has been mentioned before. If it has, I apologize. :P

I do have screenshots for when I was #9, and I could take another now if anyone cares to see it.

I am mentioning this as a leaderboard system similar to Starcraft 2 would probably be able to fix everything.

Thanks for your report. There is an issue in ranking and generally it needs some refines that Game-Labs will check asap.

UGG Team,

Do you have an estimated date when the multiplayer will be expanded to include the campaign multiplayer and the co-operative gameplay between armies? I know it might be pointless to ask, because you might not want to release that information. But, I thought I would.

No estimations yet. We need to finalise other things first and the upcoming patch. It would be wonderful if we could easily make that very soon but we have already lots to fix :)

I'm not sure if the victory calculation is already perfect yet. I had a multiplayer battle on "Battle of McPhersons ridge". The battle was absolutely balanced and both armies failed to conquer 'McPhersons rigde'. The battle got delayed but the final result was the confederates held 'Herrs tavern' and the Union controled 'Oak ridge', so each army had the same victory points. 'McPhersons ridge' was still neutral. The casualties were 'almost' equal. Both armies had the same heavy losses. But one army had killed 100 men more than the other army and the calculation ended up in a 'victory' for this army. I dont think a difference of only 100 men should count as victory.. Actually this battle was definetly a 'draw'.

UGG Team,

In response to OLee O'hara's post above, I had a multiplayer battle with someone on the "Conquer the Map" and the result at the end displayed "Victory" for both of us. 

Also, I found a bug. I was playing the "Arriving to Gettysburg" scenario and there had been a large skirmish in the valley between Herr's Ridge and McPherson's ridge. So, there were a lot of enemy bodies just north of the "Spangler" orchard in the open field. For the rest of the battle, whenever I had a brigade operating within range of this area, the brigade would fire in this direction, as if there was an enemy brigade there. There was never an enemy brigade even close to this area when this happened. Obviously, I am not sure why this happened. My best guess being that enemy bodies were registering as an alive/active brigade. 

Unfortunately, I do not have a screen shot or video of this. Also, I only saw this happen once in my 40+ hours of gameplay, and this was during a singleplayer game. 

In response to OLee Oara's post above, I had a multiplayer battle with someone on the "Conquer the Map" and the result at the end displayed "Victory" for both of us. 

In my battle there has been at least one defeat (me). But who knows, maybe the other guy was defeated as well :D

Watching a friend play UGG, two things stood out to me:

1. They had no idea about morale + condition and were constantly frustrated when low morale/condition units refused to engage in any serious way.
  2. Managing artillery was really difficult for them.

The other piece of this that can be frustrating is not knowing whether LOS will be favorable from some other point on the map. I've had a few situations where I move a bunch of batteries into a position that looks like it would provide favorable sight lines into enemy formations only to discover that for some quirk of the map they can't shoot anything. I think sometimes this has to do with not judging trees correctly, sometimes it's buildings (which totally confound my reasoning; since they don't show up on the topo map and look flat) but it would be really great to have some sort of arbitrary LOS checker. I've seen games do this with a special tool where you click and hold on the starting point and drag around and it turns green or red if the target point is visible from that point. Alternatively, you could just shade the whole map according to an LOS calculation from that point. This is perhaps a little ahistorical, but I also think if you're in the actual place you can much more accurately judge visibility from one point to another by inspection, where in the game it can be more surprising than I think is strictly fair. Perhaps for balance reasons it could be limited in range from your units?

I also think you need to engage in a bigger marketing push! Was talking to some coworkers at lunch who were big TW fans (I said "I've been playing this game by the guy who did those TW mods" and he said "Wait, Darth made a game?!") who aren't aware of UGG. There's a big market out there beyond the super hardcore EA folks and I think this game could be a big hit with them if you can work out how to reach them.

This is really one of those spots where we could use the courier sprite.

A single cav man that moves from the "parent" commander to the spot you want to check for LOS and when he arrives, provide the LOS exactly as if the Arty unit was there.

Then you can recall the scout to that commander when you're done and, next, send him to the Arty unit you want to move to that spot. When it gets to the Arty, the Arty should perform the move order automatically. Scout could also be used to check for LOS with other unit types not just for Arty.

Totally agree with the market push and I only happened to know of this game from TWC when I read a small post highlighted on the right hand side of the forum. However, I think it's only a matter of time. TWC is a huge community and I'd rather start there than anywhere else because of its visibility profit/cost ratio.