Game-Labs Forum

General Feedback (v1.0) UPDATE 22/10/2014 *PLEASE READ*

Nick Thomadis

UPDATE 22/10/2014

Hello Generals,

We want to inform you that we plan to offer a patch which will include major bug fixes, gameplay balance issues and some new features.

We need your feedback about things you believe they need urgent repairs so that we can prioritize our work. For example artillery targeting fixes, melee issues and new MP maps are already on schedule. 

Please write in this thread better because it helps us to find your reports more easily.

We hope you enjoy Ultimate General: Gettysburg,

Game-Labs

-----------------------------------------------------------

17/10/2014

-----------------------------------------------------------

The game is finally released today!

A very warm thanks to everyone who has supported the project during Early-Access stage:

We welcome all new players and hope you will like the game.

Please use this feedback thread for your generic opinions or for any useful report.

Have fun,

Game-Labs

• Like 1

Congratulations for the release,

However, many bugs have emerged.

Today, I play Confederate, Day 1 first battle in random, iron rigade cutler baxter, arty stewart, all are bugged ...
They absolutely do not react, do not shoot and can not be targeted.
Charges infantry are stopped for no reason, that before the patch, the units are buggy when they are in the area that borders maps

Bugs units in melee, cavalry are not controllable in melee in multiplayer can not be select bug units on the hills when moving

I followed your instructions to delete all files for the release of patch 1.0.

Thank you all for your support and your kind comments!

@ Dingo

Have you tried to validate your installation? If not, please go in Steam client and in games library right click on Ultimate General: Gettysburg. Select Properties and in local files tab choose to verify the integrity of game cache. Steam will automatically check your game's installation and will replace possible corrupted files. 

If this does not do the job then a last alternative is to re-install the game. Before that, please perform a clean-up of game folder. See details here: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/881-common-technical-problems-and-solutions/ under Essential clean-up of game folder.

• Like 1

Something I've noticed from let's play videos on youtube.  When the battle ends there isn't really an opportunity to look around the battlefield and see how things ended.  In videos people get around this by pausing the game before it ends.

But it would be cool if there was a way to tour the battlefield after the battle to see how you did and where units ended up.

Pickett's Charge and many other scenarios are greyed out in Custom Battle, is this because I have a version of the game that needs to be updated?

Or do I need to delete the Early Access version of the game and buy the game anew at $14?

Pickett's Charge and many other scenarios are greyed out in Custom Battle, is this because I have a version of the game that needs to be updated?

Or do I need to delete the Early Access version of the game and buy the game anew at $14?

NO u do not have to pay again. You have already paid the piper before with the early access, so the full/final version is included with that purchase...

You need to (Delete Local Content) through Steam first(Early Access).

Only than go to ur steam folder (Steam-SteamApps-Common) n delete the UG:G folder.

Re-Download Game......This will give you a spanking new clean install of the Full release 'SP- Version:1.0 rev 6363'../   'MP Version:0.28 rev 6363'....

I have the full version n some of my Custom Battles are also Grayed out. Don't know what the problem is there...

Specifically 'Dawn July 2' Just the first battle is Grayed out/  'Morning July 2' ... All are Grayed out

I have played through the 3 day battle for both sides...

• Like 1

Thanks, 1st.TN.Reg.Watkins, I've done what you suggested but no change. I have many greyed out battles in Custom Battles, so I wonder if I have the Full game. Wouldn't 'Pickett's Charge' be one thing that would definitely be part of any Gettysburg game?

Where are the developers? Where is Nick Thomadis? I would like to know what I've paid for.

Additionally, there is no way to finish a game without having to fight the whole battle. Why can't we choose to stop a battle at any point and then go on to the next one?

Please use this feedback thread for your generic opinions or for any useful report.

Yes, hello! Is anybody there?

Yes hello,

Custom battles may have been reset if you had unlocked them before many previous early access versions as we had refactored saves system quite a few times. Custom battles unlock in a phase for one or both sides if you play them in the campaign. Otherwise all are greyed out except the multiplayer custom battles.

As for the question why you cannot finish a game before fighting the whole battle not sure what you mean? If it is because of the delay then delay depends if an objective is at stake or one of the sides charges. Objectives must be clear of enemies for the delay to expire.

So, it seems that the 60 battles greyed out in Custom Battles cannot be played until I have finished ALL the scenarios of UGG. That's a bummer, because sometimes I get bored with the battle I am playing and there seems to be no way I can stop the battle there and then, and go on with the next battle in the scenarios.

In other words, UGG is set up so ALL battles (1) must be played in the order given, and (2) played to the very end, win or lose, whether I like it or not. (They cannot be forfeited, by only partially playing. For example, in Rome II, I can press the ESC button in the middle of a battle and choose to lose the battle and finish that fight; then, I can go on with the next thing I want to do in the game.)

This is the very thing I don't like, that is, having no control over the game.

So, it seems that the 60 battles greyed out in Custom Battles cannot be played until I have finished ALL the scenarios of UGG. 

No not like this. If you reach as Union the third day you unlock almost all phases of third day that are connected with Union decisions.

If you play as Confederates and you reach the third you unlock the rest.

So in short playing a full campaign with both sides one time (can be about from 4 to 8 phases each campaign) you can unlock more than 80% of custom battles.

Hello Generals,

We want to inform you that we plan to offer a patch which will include major bug fixes, gameplay balance issues and some new features.

We need your feedback about things you believe they need urgent repairs so that we can prioritize our work. For example artillery targeting fixes, melee issues and new MP maps are already on schedule. 

Please write in this thread better because it helps us to find your reports more easily.

We hope you enjoy Ultimate General: Gettysburg,

Game-Labs

Watching a friend play UGG, two things stood out to me:

1. They had no idea about morale + condition and were constantly frustrated when low morale/condition units refused to engage in any serious way.
  2. Managing artillery was really difficult for them.

The on-screen UI is super clean and wonderful at the moment but I do think it's worth doing some prototyping to see if there are ways of communicating morale and condition visually, without selecting units. It doesn't have to be a continuous measure, either, it could be some kind of animation change on the actual sprites to show them slumped over or little icons that appear to the left or right of the number of soldiers in the brigade or the number of soldiers changes to light red when they've lost their will to fight or something. The other piece if this is education - it's still not totally clear to me what the difference is between morale and condition. As far as I can tell morale is the faster changing one and responds more instantaneously to stuff happening around the brigade (being flanked, winning an attack, being near friendly brigades, etc) and condition is slower to change. But it's not as simple as morale is the derivative of condition. These parameters are so important, I think they deserve some deeper explanations in an intro video or something. It might also be useful to use the movement arrows to show starting/ending condition levels with color? Might help underline that moving a long way costs you condition too.

Regarding artillery, I think there are two potential fixes. First, it's great that you can change the LOS highlighting in options, but I think the defaults need to be way darker. If you don't tweak that, it's faint enough that you might never know that LOS is your issue for batteries not firing. Second, I feel like I spend a LOT of time microing batteries - checking that they can see targets, checking that they're actually FIRING on those targets, etc. It would be great, at a glance, to be able to tell that a battery sees no targets without selecting it. Some simple icon on the battery that shows that it's not trying to fire would be so, so helpful and would draw attention to fix that battery's placement.

The other piece of this that can be frustrating is not knowing whether LOS will be favorable from some other point on the map. I've had a few situations where I move a bunch of batteries into a position that looks like it would provide favorable sight lines into enemy formations only to discover that for some quirk of the map they can't shoot anything. I think sometimes this has to do with not judging trees correctly, sometimes it's buildings (which totally confound my reasoning; since they don't show up on the topo map and look flat) but it would be really great to have some sort of arbitrary LOS checker. I've seen games do this with a special tool where you click and hold on the starting point and drag around and it turns green or red if the target point is visible from that point. Alternatively, you could just shade the whole map according to an LOS calculation from that point. This is perhaps a little ahistorical, but I also think if you're in the actual place you can much more accurately judge visibility from one point to another by inspection, where in the game it can be more surprising than I think is strictly fair. Perhaps for balance reasons it could be limited in range from your units?

I also think you need to engage in a bigger marketing push! Was talking to some coworkers at lunch who were big TW fans (I said "I've been playing this game by the guy who did those TW mods" and he said "Wait, Darth made a game?!") who aren't aware of UGG. There's a big market out there beyond the super hardcore EA folks and I think this game could be a big hit with them if you can work out how to reach them.

Anyway, those are my big issues! Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Darth and Team,

Great job on an excellent game! I purchased this game upon discovery and I have to say it is one of the best, and possibly the best RTS game I have ever played. Thank you for an excellent strategy game and one worthy of a strategy fan. 

I have a suggestion for multi-player. I think it would be absolutely excellent to be able to do 2v2 and 3v3 games. Each player could be in command of a single Corps.; and with an in game chat feature, for those on the same team, they could make their battle plans. This could be instituted for larger maps with no reinforcement scenarios, or say a division reinforcing the separate corps at one time or another. Please consider this. I believe it would make the multi-player scene more vibrant.

I cannot rave enough about this game. I have been spreading its excellence by word of mouth and have gotten others to join. 

Thanks again for putting your passion and talent to action to bring us an example of a truly great strategy game.

• Like 1

Darth and Team,

I overlooked this statement on the UGG homepage:

"Evolving Multiplayer Experience

The game currently offers 5 maps for 1vs1 matches and is continuously improved according to user feedback. Plans for the future are to expand to a campaign multiplayer and support co-operative gameplay between multiple armies."

So disregard the last part of my previous post. I cannot wait for this to be implemented and I will definitely be able to convince some more colleagues to buy this game when this is in place. Really looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Leaderboard Improvement requests...

The more multiplayer I play the more i realize we need a better leaderboard with a greater array of information.

More stats on number of battles, wins/loss, disconnects, last time played etc etc to make it a little more interesting.

If you can also make that leaderboard able to sort by the different params then many more of us can claim first place, i.e. look at the board sorted by least losses  or by most wins or most battles etc

Also including all players, not just steam friends would be nice. Even if you have to grey out the name of the non-steam friend i'd like to see that stats of others around me even if not my friend

Lastly the ability to show head-to-head results against anyone on the leaderboard would bring us to more battles as we try to beat that person who keeps winning against us

• Like 3

I've noticed that once you are the top rank in multiplayer, you can only go down on the leaderboard (at least for me). I originally reached #9, and a few weeks later while still actively playing and never losing any battle, I didn't increase in the leaderboard at all. Instead I started the game the next day to find someone else was somehow placed above me and knocked me down a couple of spots. The last time I checked I am now around #18-19 on the leaderboard but still have the top rank. Forgive me if this has been mentioned before. If it has, I apologize. :P

I do have screenshots for when I was #9, and I could take another now if anyone cares to see it.

I am mentioning this as a leaderboard system similar to Starcraft 2 would probably be able to fix everything.

UGG Team,

Do you have an estimated date when the multiplayer will be expanded to include the campaign multiplayer and the co-operative gameplay between armies? I know it might be pointless to ask, because you might not want to release that information. But, I thought I would.