Game-Labs Forum

A message to the devs, and the community

Tormidal

Hello all,

Ive been lurking the forums the past few months, and I've noticed a growing trend.

The people are demanding additional changes and features, and the developers have failed to communicate their idea for in the game, in its entirety, to the masses.

First of all, I'd like to address the members of the community here;

You guys are whats helping this game get made. Its your feed back and early backing thats been helping the developers the most. But the way a select few of you are voicing your ideas, is not the way to do it.(See: Where the heck is the full 4 day campaign game?!?!)

Gentlemen. That is not the way you should react. While it does get the point across, it makes you seem like a whiner. Just plainly ask, "Hey, is there any word on a full, non-stop, 4-day campaign?"
Its not that hard. A dev is more likely to respond to a calm post than an angered, complainer.

And lastly, to the devs;

You guys have worked hard so far, and thats commendable. The game has come a long way, and still has a ways to go. But communication is needed. There's a lot of things that people want, and I feel that you have yet to provide a full, in-depth idea of what you want this game to be. A full, four day ahistorical simulation, or a day-by-day, quick battle strung across the four days.

But I think the most important thing is for you to list the features that you aim to have complete for the official release, so that we know what to expect. And then to respond to what the community would like to see(e.g. why it doesn't fit in your vision, why you won't do it, etc.)

And then a confirmation of post-launch content additions. More battles over time, more content, more features.

Thanks for reading. This game can be great, but we need calm collaboration to make it that way.
-Tormidal

...On a personal note; is there any word on the addition of mod support?

• Like 7

It's also important as one is asking for features to think completely around the feature from a realism and gameplay standpoint.  One may not support the other, and what seems like an excellent idea may leave the game open to massive abuse and griefing (I'm not referencing any recent topics here, just making a statement in a general sense).  Designing a game is about finding a fun balance and experience for a predefined shared of the market.  Pure historical realism doesn't do this, nor does pure arcade foofery.

As you come up with an idea, take a moment to think about it, Google a bit and see if previous games have done something similar, and if you can, see how that idea turned out in those games.  Sometimes you'd be surprised at what worked and what didn't.

Great post OP, +1.

"Give me a baby boy and I want it now!"

The internet is a good thing. Before it we can only accept what we get. But something remains unchanged: This isn't our game, this is his game. When you created something, it is your wish that more people will like it, but for indie games, people do it because they like doing it. You always gotta take care of number one first. And that is the you the developer.

Thanks for the kind message.

I want to clarify that we try to filter everything and not to take personally any "oppressive demand" as we respect everyone allocating time to login and writing for us his opinion. I know from my modding experience that criticism helps even if sometimes is kind of harsh. Writing constructively your requests and feedback, even expressing negative thoughts, can only mean that you are interested in the game and you want to help it to become better. But that does not mean we can satisfy every request. There are limitations of what we can offer for this game in the development time we have scheduled for it. Some of your ideas may come in a later patch after the full release or in our next game of the series. So keep the feedback coming!

• Like 5

Good post, sir!

I barely noticed it though - the demand threads on Star Citizen's forums are far more obtuse and annoying.  Guess I'm so used to seeing (and ignoring) them, I don't notice anymore.

Star Citizen's forums are pretty bad about it, but Planetary Annihilation's is even worse.

Thanks for the kind message.

I want to clarify that we try to filter everything and not to take personally any "oppressive demand" as we respect everyone allocating time to login and writing for us his opinion. I know from my modding experience that criticism helps even if sometimes is kind of harsh. Writing constructively your requests and feedback, even expressing negative thoughts, can only mean that you are interested in the game and you want to help it to become better. But that does not mean we can satisfy every request. There are limitations of what we can offer for this game in the development time we have scheduled for it. Some of your ideas may come in a later patch after the full release or in our next game of the series. So keep the feedback coming!

Thanks for the response Darth. :)