Game-Labs Forum

Determined Defender is ........

• 3 weeks later...

I quit boarding as I have to surrender my ship everytime I encounter a determined defender.  Complete total and terrible Perk.  I don't use it as I consider it a cheat. 

If the devs wont get rid of this perk by next patch, I am sorry to say that I will have to quit this game.

An ecounter just happened today.    I was chasing a romne with my 2 rattles ai fleet .    But then a consti joined the party ...  and after them chasing me...I split them up and decided I could have a chance to take the constitution with 440 crew.   

I have an exceptional frigate 3/5 with speed ,crew.   320 crew.  Gold boarding parties, swords,grog, extra hammocks and fine marines (don't like Gold .)

I charge the consti whom got stuck in dead wind ..   100% ready to board.  He is chaining me.  I let off a grape shot and kill 13 crew ...and try to board but determined defender.

he changed to ball and ....well.  had to surrender.  I could not escape.  I could not board and maybe have a chance.

This has happened over and over and over.   Stupid perk that must be either 4pts or none at all.

I know the Devs want realism, but determined defender is not realistic. Anyone should be able to board a ship if they can slow it down enough, even if it is suicidal due to crew numbers.

Flip side ramming to board, 50% marines and attack mods that are more powerful then cannon themselves isn't realistic either. 

There is a reason many many ships in this era have tumblehome curve, not only does it reduce top weight and lower the CoG it makes boarding by force very difficult because the waterlines of ships will touch and still leave a large gap between decks.

I'm not a fan of determined defender though and I look at it as hopefully a temporary bandaid to how powerful and easy it is to force a boarding atm. I hope that boarding becomes much more refined then this:

W6YEW5v.png

• Like 4

Would've been nice to at least have some indicator that someone has it - before slowing them down enough and intending to board, to allow the boarder to change tactics (e.g. focus on stern raking to be able to board).