Game-Labs Forum

War Supplies / Crafting Marines / Flag Assault Next Gen.

This one is for the new upcoming port battle mechanics. As I noted I would give more details on war supplies". So here is my suggestion:

(Original: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14816-update-on-the-port-battle-set-up/?p=276694 )

First of all, for this to work, Marines have to become a resource as opposed to a module. (Or maybe a new resource "Troops"?)

1. Capital generates a new resource "Marine Recruitment Order". (Haven't looked at the price yet, but it should be really high to form a good money sink.)
  2. Crafting Marines always costs you 25 Recruitment Orders, 1500 labor, 26 ? Gold Coins. (I must be misreading the BP. :P)
  3. Crafting Marines gives you 375 XP.
  4. Where you craft the Marines defines how many you will get:
    1. Capital - 150 Marines
    2. Regional - 100 Marines
    3. Deep - 50 Marines
  5. Tossing Marines into the hold of your ship reduces your amount of maximum crew with the same amount. (It's silly to sail to war with a Trader Lynx. ;) )
  6. (We still need whaleboats. :P )
  7. Instead of flag planting, you launch an assault:
    1. Each whaleboat can drop 20 troops in 2 minutes (similar to a flag drop right now). Multiple whaleboats increase the number of troops dropped.
    2. If the dropping ship moves or is engaged within 1 minute, the troops and whaleboat(s) are lost.
    3. If the dropping ship moves or is engaged within 2 minutes, the troops are delivered, but the whaleboat(s) are lost.
  8. Delivered troops give an hefty increase in hostilities.

(I'm not happy yet with the "or is engaged" part.)

The idea is that you can take out orders and sail them to the destination of choice. If the front line is far away, then you would use a Trader Lynx. Or you move the orders from port to port.

Alternatively you use them at your capital and use a big ship to move troops to the frontline.

Effectively it means that big ship movements become of strategical importance.

Plus we can still have all the fun around intercepting an assault fleet. :D

• Like 1

This one is for the new upcoming port battle mechanics. As I noted I would give more details on war supplies". So here is my suggestion:

(Original: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14816-update-on-the-port-battle-set-up/?p=276694 )

First of all, for this to work, Marines have to become a resource as opposed to a module. (Or maybe a new resource "Troops"?)

1. Capital generates a new resource "Marine Recruitment Order". (Haven't looked at the price yet, but it should be really high to form a good money sink.)
  2. Crafting Marines always costs you 25 Recruitment Orders, 1500 labor, 26 ? Gold Coins. (I must be misreading the BP. :P)
  3. Crafting Marines gives you 375 XP.
  4. Where you craft the Marines defines how many you will get:
    1. Capital - 150 Marines
    2. Regional - 100 Marines
    3. Deep - 50 Marines
  5. Tossing Marines into the hold of your ship reduces your amount of maximum crew with the same amount. (It's silly to sail to war with a Trader Lynx. ;) )
  6. (We still need whaleboats. :P )
  7. Instead of flag planting, you launch an assault:
    1. Each whaleboat can drop 20 troops in 2 minutes (similar to a flag drop right now). Multiple whaleboats increase the number of troops dropped.
    2. If the dropping ship moves or is engaged within 1 minute, the troops and whaleboat(s) are lost.
    3. If the dropping ship moves or is engaged within 2 minutes, the troops are delivered, but the whaleboat(s) are lost.
  8. Delivered troops give an hefty increase in hostilities.

(I'm not happy yet with the "or is engaged" part.)

The idea is that you can take out orders and sail them to the destination of choice. If the front line is far away, then you would use a Trader Lynx. Or you move the orders from port to port.

Alternatively you use them at your capital and use a big ship to move troops to the frontline.

Effectively it means that big ship movements become of strategical importance.

Plus we can still have all the fun around intercepting an assault fleet. :D

Like the basic idea, but not to keen on the fact you want to center everything around the capital even more, since i advocate about spreading out resources not to be 5 mins sails from the capital and giving diminishing returns on resource harvesting the more people have buildings in it to make people set up shop in different parts of the world. And this goes directly against it. So like the basic idea, hate the fact you want to keep everyone in the Capital :P 

Also why fishing boats as troop transport? O.o Wasn't that the job of brigs and frigates ? 

• Like 1

marines will become a resource eventually

the marines upgrade will be reworked (changed to something more appropriate)

we also DO want very much to rework the boarding itself. But only after politics/alliances/new port battles

• Like 4

Keep in mind that this is just one "missions" of hopefully many that give hostility score. This one should be very though to pull off. :)

As for the whaleboats, see those little boats in the picture at https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/Battle_of_Vigo_bay_october_23_1702.jpg

Those are called whaleboats, but it has little to do with whaling. :P

Edited by Skully
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that this is just one "missions" of hopefully many that give hostility score. This one should be very though to pull off. :)

As for the whaleboats, see those little boats in the picture at https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/Battle_of_Vigo_bay_october_23_1702.jpg

Ahhh, a slight misunderstanding there :DDD 

Wweeelllll DUH! why would they row out there when there clearly is a war going on and clearly there are no whales in the bay...sheesh! They should've built a bridge to get to the other side instead of having to row across. :D This is a great illustration of your idea...or the inverse of that. I likey. heh