Game-Labs Forum

Broken Resource Ports

Several of the ports that buy resources that many players sell compass wood to get overloaded and then stop buying. Barcos, Esteros, Cuzamil. Then, if you're like me, and that's the only way you make money (2 buildings producing it) - your path to glory is hampered a bit by the ports that only utilize (24) units a day, and they just end up being perpetually broken and not buying. Change this. The more players you get, the more they ask how to make money, and then wham - your whole money-making system is screwed for an undetermined period of time. I'm sure MANY players will read this and make suggestions...DON'T...But do take a look at this, devs, and try to come up with an equitable workaround. A server like mine (USA2 PVP) that only peaks at 200 players on shouldn't have "trade" overloads. I mean, if it can't handle that amount of people without breaking buying, wtf? Why even HAVE it? That's a pretty low number of active players to break the bank, so to speak. Thanks! Love the game.

Edited by JPJohns

I'm sure MANY players will read this and make suggestions...DON'T...

Tough. If you didn't want people commenting on your whining, you shouldn't have posted on the forums.

Now, as to your economic problems it's called being adaptable and diversifying. If your economic niche is being crowded out, move into something else. I went from selling oak logs to a port, to selling planks to players, to moving into medium carriage production, because the first two options were gradually being crowded out by other players. The sense I get here is that you're unwilling to do this and would instead like the devs to bend over backwards to accommodate narrow-minded inflexible individuals like yourself. Good luck with that.

Edited by Stewart Latham
  • Like 2

I think this game needs a variable econ like in Uncharted Waters. The more people invest in a port the greater the AI population should be there, hence increasing the production and the consumption. We should be able to influence ports with investments to increase said population.

The resource cap is a workaround for the lack of representation of inflatation and deflatation. So if you offer a million compass wood you´d still get your money. Though the port only needs 25000. So right now in my comment im not really sure anymore if you were thinkin bout increasing the caps for pr max stock in port till price drops to 1 gold too, but that would´ve been my idea. Would also be very interesting for me atleast, who likes strategic games and watch things grow to have some more micromanagement for a port and not just another Blue Window and the only thing that matters is the things that are on the Market. So Changing Population, maybe later there could be open projects where every Nationmember could invest materials in(with enough population for said project) Forts etc to make the port more defenseable.

Edited by Paint
  • Like 1

There is nothing broken with the ports, the AI just doesn't want the compass anymore. :)

To get a liquid flexible frictionless market, I've the economics patch proposal open at http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15098-economics-patch-proposal/

The primary part for the compass wood crash can be found at http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14980-compassfish-market-crashes-where-is-the-market-maker/

But one simple step in the right direction would be http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15169-sell-contract-does-not-interact-with-port/

That way everybody can become a liquid demander, by tossing in their sell contracts.

post-11395-0-84563000-1468250004_thumb.jpg

You can already see this working in the fish market, because we are going close to or below the NPC fish meat prices.

(The spread is still awfully high though. :P )

As to the dude who suggested diversifying? No s#%t Sherlock! That's why I asked for no commenting on what I'd already thought through and was asking directly for a fix. SO I ASKED. But yeah, kinda had to into tobacco. It's a broken aspect of the game, imho. It ain't just CW...You end up not being able to sell a LOT of stuff to the AI's. At the very least a weekly reset to zero would be nice.

You end up not being able to sell a LOT of stuff to the AI's.

That's how oversupplied markets work.

If everybody does Compass Wood, then price will/should drop.

However the current mechanisms makes it a lottery instead of a gradual drop.

So there is nothing to fix on the AI consumption, because there is nothing broken there.

I think this game needs a variable econ like in Uncharted Waters. The more people invest in a port the greater the AI population should be there, hence increasing the production and the consumption. We should be able to influence ports with investments to increase said population.

That's how oversupplied markets work.

If everybody does Compass Wood, then price will/should drop.

However the current mechanisms makes it a lottery instead of a gradual drop.

So there is nothing to fix on the AI consumption, because there is nothing broken there.

Population is good, but the said problem is that the "prices" implemented in the game right now, are not really prices, because they do not relfect supply and demand, but are fixed. So changing that will let you sell Compass Wood at a price between 1g and 1500g, depending on the stock in the port.

If we fix this, then we can talk about dynamic supply and demand by the AI ports, e.g. increasing population for highly visited ports.