Game-Labs Forum

My Humble Suggestions for Fixing Battles, Timers, Etc.

The purpose behind these proposed changes is to eliminate people abusing current mechanics such as hiding infinitely in completed battles, abusing invisibility/invulnerability to separate fleets/interfere with port captures/defenses, limit ganking (by abuse only) while retaining organic PvP with few restrictions, all while maintaining a semblance of realism without the need for gamey mechanics.

Consider all numbers mentioned here fluid and up for debate based on player feedback.  I will only mention them to paint a solid picture.

1. Put a cap on the amount of time anyone can sit in a battle or on the results screen, after which time they are kicked out to the open world. 5 min. in battle (reasonable--if not slightly long--time to capture any derelicts, if this is a major concern then make sure you don't sail too far upwind of your prize), 2.5 min. in results screen, total of 7.5 min.  Can be shortened to 5 min. total by halving the time in battle.  This also allows for a quick bathroom break after a long battle since we're all human.

2. Taking into consideration that everyone inside of a tag circle should show up with their current heading and distance represented in the battle instance (including land masses) no one outside of the tag circle may join a battle after it is started.  Consider this: The open world is time in fast forward.  Any ship outside of the tag circle is judged to be too far away (possibly dozens, if not hundreds of miles away) to make it in time to assist.  Size of tag circle is open for debate.

3. Limit invisibility and invulnerability to only as much time as is needed for someone with lower-end hardware/connection to load into the open world from a port or battle. 30 sec. total?

3.a. If someone is invulnerable when inside of a tag circle, they should be presented with the option to join the battle from the position (including distance and heading) they were in when it was initiated.  This should prevent fleets from being split that were otherwise sailing close together.

3.b. If the person that was invulnerable chooses not to join the battle, then they must sit anchored and stationary, but visible and vulnerable to attack for an additional 30 sec. and cannot re-enter a port.  This should prevent people trying to escape a blockade by defensive tagging and abusing timers.

4. All battles, even though closed, should remain visible in the open world for the entire duration.  To deconflict seeing a bunch of white sword icons around see my post some months back regarding battle/mission icons in the open world: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/9761-battle-icons/. EDIT: After some thought, and feedback of others, I feel we could do without this change at this time.

Discuss.

1. Two hours per combat. That's half an hour search, chase and tag routine. Plus one hour and a half of combat. I need to logoff from the end screen or extended timeout for at least half an hour breaks in prolonged sessions.

2. Odd solution. Hunting groups do not operate this way. Defense groups rushing to reinforce the victims will be nullified. That is unless the tag area is ... 2 minutes distance...as it is now. Maybe explain this one better ?

3. Hard to netcode. It is the client that is dependent, not the server.

4. It will promote camping of battle spots. Groups of corsairs will simply go to a mission area, sit and wait.

I wish number 2 to be better explained, given it is one that might deserve attention. But for all it is worth we should move away from the system we have now, maybe rethink the box.

• Like 1

So, people are supposed to be able to block off a noob-port and kill everything on sight? You should be able to tag someone endlessly without him being able to escape ever? And what's with this insta-closing battles? Why - just why? I get wanting short timers instead of long ones, but no timers at all? Just fine-tune your circle and you can get anyone in the middle of group of enemies at will?

In points 2, 3 and 4 you propose to give away mechanics so that we can have the very thing these mechanics were supposed to protect us from. Why is being tag-locked and unable to ever run away a good thing? You are aware you are just promoting hate-crime revenge-fleets ganking? Just sit on top of the crossed swords and BOOM! Whoever is inside is instantly dead as soon as he gets out. He cannot run, cannot fight, cannot do nothing. Someone decided to ruin your day, so you have no choice in the matter - good bye.

It's god-darned awful is what it is. Sorry to say that.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/13167-short-announcement-on-the-15x-br-reinforcement-limit/page-12#entry246213

Set battle entry distance to 3x tag radius (how close you have to be to the swords to click in).

Set battle window timer to 10 seconds.

Done. Totally fixes invisible people joining fights and still allows more distant teammates to click in.

Also would be dead simple to implement.

Edited by Slamz

1. Two hours per combat. That's half an hour search, chase and tag routine. Plus one hour and a half of combat. I need to logoff from the end screen or extended timeout for at least half an hour breaks in prolonged sessions.

2. Odd solution. Hunting groups do not operate this way. Defense groups rushing to reinforce the victims will be nullified. That is unless the tag area is ... 2 minutes distance...as it is now. Maybe explain this one better ?

3. Hard to netcode. It is the client that is dependent, not the server.

4. It will promote camping of battle spots. Groups of corsairs will simply go to a mission area, sit and wait.

I wish number 2 to be better explained, given it is one that might deserve attention. But for all it is worth we should move away from the system we have now, maybe rethink the box.

1. I get that you need a break, I'm the same way.  You can still log out in the battle or results and come back after your break back to OW.  The proposed change isn't intended to ensure that pursuers get their victim to come out of a battle faster, but rather, to prevent people from hiding in these in order to ambush people without being present in the OW.

2.  Distance of tag circle is up for debate.  My main point is now we have land in battles, and everyone joins in roughly where they were when the battle started.  If we allow people to join after the start, they essentially time-traveled into the future to get into their position since they're moving faster outside the battle in OW than the people are inside.  It's an unfair advantage to allow people to position themselves in such a way as to prevent escape while moving in OW.  The only alternative is to go back to set positions for battle participants, and that's less realistic and more "gamey" and I have no desire to see that as it would remove a huge tactical layer from the game.

I don't understand how it's so hard for people to comprehend that if you weren't inside the tag circle, that you are simply too far away to assist, i.e. a couple hundred miles can be covered in OW in a few minutes, but inside the battle time is close to real-time, so you would never reach the battle before it was over.

3.  Nothing should involve netcode here.  Just a decrease in timers and a proposed solution for people trying to abuse timers to avoid fights or split fleets.

4.  If people are sitting stationary around battle spots, they are making targets of themselves as well.  30 sec. is still some time to get away after a battle.  I don't have a better solution but there are disadvantages from either side of it.

You are a believer in humanity. I like that.

The number 1 will work as much for us as for the ambushers. They will simply logout. And yesterday I tried to logout from the screen and couldn't, maybe a glitch but okay with me, had to run the gauntlet and reach port for a much needed break.

Number 2 yes, the positional spawn can be as spectacular as can be absurd. Maybe worth to limit the entry point regarding to position in the OW relative to the open battle ?

Number 3. Okay. It will work both ways then. Continuous tag. Chain tag. I do not agree with join battles while invulnerable. It will return us to the previous state of battle hoping - was dreadful and little could be done.

Number 4. If the zone is hot the hunting group will move to another area and repeat the process. One thing is for sure, it will become extremely easy for find prey, I simply have to roam around.