Game-Labs Forum

Production buildings leveling up discount.

I think the labor hour discount for production buildings should be higher and be more expandable. It currently costs 1200 hours to clear the restored produced by five max level buildings. That's an entire day of labor hours for every three days worth of production.

I spell out in my detail what I would like to see as far as numbers go here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NavalAction/comments/4bzeil/better_discount_for_upgraded_production_buildings/

It's not Crafting Hours, it's Labour Hours. I think the system is that way to emphasize that no single person is able to do everything. Which is imo a good thing. It enhances interactions between players.

Absolutely valid point. Thank you for bringing it up. Here is my solution.

Allow me to "hire labor" for a daily cost. These NPC's will allow me to gather my resources without using my labor hours. My building can still only store a certain amount before it stops producing.

So now, I am trading gold and eating into profits in order to save hours. The players who want to craft can win on this. But those who just want to sell go profit without crafting can opt not to "hire labor" and use their own hours to gather like the system works now. This allows them to gather the cheapest resources and sell for the largest profit margin.

Here is my solution

This is not a solution. This is a way to get rid of the system in place.

The system is there for the very reason as to not allow one person to be as effective as a group of two people. You are asking to get rid of that.

Not to mention this would simply crush the market. You say - people who want to sell for profit could not use gold to produce - but who for? If you are already asking for a way to buy the materials avoiding other producers? What if the difference between paying gold to gather LH-less resources and actually buying them? Well - the difference is your 'solution' makes the whole market and eco irrelevant.

That's an entire day of labor hours for every three days worth of production.

Meaning 33% reduction in productivity. Not too much, considering you become hugely self-sufficient. I would gladly see increase in production AND LH cost.

You say - people who want to sell for profit could not use gold to produce - but who for?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it takes more than five different resources to construct any ship. So you would always need to buy something from other players.

With 4 resources (as you need one slot for the ship yard), you can cover the most important resources though. Oak, Hemp, Silver/Gold, Iron. The rest is not in such big quantities that it would be a problem to buy them. So yes, in the current system you can be largely self sufficient, but, as it should be, pretty slow compared to someone who works with others together.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it takes more than five different resources to construct any ship. So you would always need to buy something from other players.

1. Coal, 2. Oak, 3. Iron, 4. Hemp, 5. Fir

5 resources, accounting in total for 94% (!) of a player-crafted 3rd rate

You can scratch fir, as it's cheaply produced and you're still left with 88% of products being made in-house.

Shipbuilders have to build a shipyard. So they could only possibly produce four resources. Then they would need to buy the rest.

Every ship needs:

1.Stone (Ballasts)

2, Hemp (Canvas Rolls,Cordage and Oakum, Cables and Howsers, Small / Medium / Large Carriages)

3. Iron (Cables and Howsers, Iron Fittings, Rudder Parts, Small / Medium / Large Carriages)

4 Oak (Planks, Rudder Parts)

5. Fir (Tar, Wooden Fittings, Cordage and Oakum)

6. Pine (Rigging Parts)

7. Lignum Vitae Log (Blocks)

8. Coal (to make all kinds of Ingots)

All ships also need frame parts of whatever type of wood you want the boat made out of, so you might want another resource to be:

9. Live Oak (Live Oak Frame Parts)

High level ships ALSO need:

10. Gold (Furnishings)

11. Silver (Furnishings)

12. Red Wood Log (Furnishings)

13. Compass Wood (Knees)

Edited by Tyrant