Game-Labs Forum

Signals Flags, Flag Orders and Code Book.

Hmmm, yeah I can see your point:). ROF was a bad comparison and I think you may have changed my view on this, maybe I will use this signal system myself. It sure would be alot more immersive than using the unrealistic chat system.

• 2 months later...

Signalling poses several issues.Firstly each Nation will have Different Signals.Secondly,speaking about the Royal Navy,there were several Books of Signals.One would be the "Standing General Signals Book" used across the Fleet.Then each of the Senior Admirals would have their own "personal" signal books, and even lower down the food chain other Flotilla  Commanders would have one.It wasnt untill Marryat made a standardised system(mainly for Merchantile Marine)that the system became a lot easier.

All that said,i have managed to find a Signals book from 1799,printed in Madras,it was owned by Lt John Batt(?) Acting Captain of HMS Suffolk 2nd of Sept 1779.As you will see he has made his own Signals (the signal Numbers written in freehand) later on in the book.I should think very little changed (the "Official" Signals) through the Period of Naval Action.

http://digitalcommon...context=sc_pubs

• Like 1