Game-Labs Forum

Ingame compass

Wilhelm von Bromme

Hello there,

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post, but well if not, a mod can move it ;)

I am writing this, I guess mainly towards the devs, because I'm hoping that someone can tell me where the graphical files are that show the ship indicator and compass inworld (OW and battle). I find them a bit rough and instead of waiting for a UI update anywhere in future, with MAYBE changing the compass, I decided to modify it and make it a little more detailed. So my idea is to change the graphic file of the ingame compass to add numbers, for instance, etc. I wouldn't think that is manipulation, cheating and alike, just adding detail to the compass graphic to match it with my RL compass I use with a printed map of the game area.

Would be happy to receive a response on where to find the graphics :-)

Can't help you find the files. Sorry, don't know myself.

But hope you are successful. And can I please encourage you to create a compass that will allow us to take a sighting (bearing shot). Something that we can aim to determine the direction to objects (landmarks, ships ...). This would be of great assistance in determining our position, by triangulation. It would be nice if an improved compass provided more than only the heading.

I would love to use a compass with the UI turned off, that is toggled on a keybinding.

$_35.JPG

Edited by Macjimm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Captain, Unity does not provide easy modification options. If you have an awesome idea for a compass better create an example post it on forums and if it is good enough we will request source files and update it in game - or make the better one based on the recommendation

Hello sir,

it isn't even that much of an awesome idea, just that the current one is too simple by only featuring "N, NE, SW, etc." instead of numbers, like any other RL compass. Numbers would make it much easier to judge exact headings, compare with a rl compass (on web or paper charts) and one could communicate courses much easier than saying "NE 1 1/2 click E" or such. One could just say "134°"... :D So my "awesome idea" is simply to turn the current compass into one with numbers instead of only the direction letters.