Game-Labs Forum

PVP - the Subject of encouraging players to engage in PVP

There would be an easy solution to not wanting to lose your ships, and it has a precedence in history too. Who here does not know no captains owned their ships but instead were given ships to use in the war against other nations? If you used that ship well and exacted a favorable toll on the enemy then you get another ship, possibly bigger. Was this not the way it was done? Also the captains who did actually own their ships, traders, some privateers, share holders etc would not risk their property for very valid reasons. Here's the thing; which system is being used in naval action, and which system does the players responses to combat more accurately represent?

Interesting points. Certainly as clans grow they may well be able to finance captains  with ships. Of course the cost of that would be that the individual captain must be submissive to the will of the clan. Traders, too, can form trading companies and either pay for ships for their own captains to do combat in, or (more historically correct) pay others (clans maybe?) to fight their enemies for them. At its core this was how the Royal navy was in part funded. Traders, sick of their goods and ships being pirated, paid for new ships for the navy with the understanding that the navy would deal with the pirates. Of course, after piracy stopped being such a threat, this practice ended (except for certain exceptions). What we currently have, though, is neither of these situations. Everyone, it seems, is an independent captain, trading and fighting for her own ends. In time I think things will mellow out so that all three of these possibilities co-exist with probably the majority of dedicated PVPers going the 'navy' route.

Interesting points. Certainly as clans grow they may well be able to finance captains  with ships. Of course the cost of that would be that the individual captain must be submissive to the will of the clan. Traders, too, can form trading companies and either pay for ships for their own captains to do combat in, or (more historically correct) pay others (clans maybe?) to fight their enemies for them. At its core this was how the Royal navy was in part funded. Traders, sick of their goods and ships being pirated, paid for new ships for the navy with the understanding that the navy would deal with the pirates. Of course, after piracy stopped being such a threat, this practice ended (except for certain exceptions). What we currently have, though, is neither of these situations. Everyone, it seems, is an independent captain, trading and fighting for her own ends. In time I think things will mellow out so that all three of these possibilities co-exist with probably the majority of dedicated PVPers going the 'navy' route.

Or change the ship buy tab in port to ship offers according to rank, make it a reward for active service while also punishing those captains who have a lackluster/poor combat history by offering dingy and/or lesser ranked ships.

My main point I guess is that people are not doing anything wrong really, but are just following natural human tendencies given the situation, and personal investment.

Edited by Valetudin Arian

Ok so today I had my first 1v1 EVEN pvp with another actual player who I found in the open world...

The FIRST guy who actually didnt turn tail and run away, the FIRST player to Kill or Die trying.

out of 30. The rest run away. And they get away.

It was a good fight. I absolutely smashed the guy to bits. and it was the most challenging and rewarding experience I have had in this game. Why is this my first PVP?

EVERYONE either does one of three things.

1:  They run away.

2:  They call in "ai reinforcements" from the ridiculous reinforcement range from ports, what the hell?

3.  They run away.

4.  They run away some more....

5.  or they call their friends and wait until they HEAVILY outnumber you.

6. Oh and #6 they get you to engage them outside of a port, and have their friends come out of the port and simply join               on their side to outnumber you 4-1

Bottom line is This is a fricken PVP server and no one wants to have an even match. No one has the balls to battle you in a 1v1. No one wants to risk their precious ship.

Ok If i'm struggling to catch up to a guy in the open world for 3 minutes... barely gaining on him going 3 Kt faster... I start the attack, at 5 seconds he makes a sharp left turn and poof, when the battle starts he's WAY WAY WAY outside long cannon range... he simply sails towards the wind and exits the battle after 1 minute...... This is bullshit.   

I don't know how the scale shrink down works excatly but it seems if you dont time it absolutely perfectly and your ship's are "touching" each other in the open world, when the battle starts you will be so far away.

Its Too easy to run away like this. the wussies have caught on, all you have to do is turn your ship a little bit before someone starts a battle and you'll never catch them.

I don't know what to propose.  Maybe if you're engaged in PvP you're locked in.

Maybe reinforcements can only be called to help even out a A battle rating but not to bring it even..

I was out numbered 8 to 1 in a battle I simply called reinforcements and commanded the AI to focus each player as I ran away... when it got down to the last two players I turned around and finished them off myself. Stupid easy. Stupid cheap.

Maybe the timer to join a PVP engagement is 2 minutes. But people who have left a port recently have to wait 3 minutes. This prevents players from just waiting in the port to jump out invisible and invulnerable.

Maybe reinforcement zone should only be around NOOB areas like capital cities.  I don't see what purpose it serves otherwise... other then to PREVENT PVP.

I don't know, I just know the system how it is at the moment makes fair open world pvp engagements extremely rare, or non existent.  Or the system is actively trying to PREVENT fair pvp...Something should be done to encourage more fair PVP engagements.

have you taken Part of your Factions, Raids and Port attacks?

I tried to play as neutral when there was a neutral faction... Everybody at this point start laughing, thinking "haha, neutrals, no ennemies"...

And indeed, Neutral had only pirates as ennemies, and there was not that many pirates. So, how do you level on open world when you don't have ennemies?

The answer is fairly simple, you sail around, check already started battles, and enter all you can. Sometime you enter pvp battles, sometime you enter pve battle. Since you have no idea who or what is actually fighting, sometime you fight alongside players against npc, and sometime it's the contrary. And since there are BR restrictions to enter a battle, you almost always side with the side that has the lowest BR.

Some battles were... interesting, to say the least...

I have tried, but the only battles I'm finding are people doing missions. So I can't enter I've seen about 30 battles going on today that I can't enter. I got in one battle and I feel bad for the guy in a trader snow.

I see players asking in chat for pvp, both in global and in national. There is little to be found. This is regardless what time of day I'm on.

I think there was one "big" fight yesterday against a single Spanish fleet of 7 ships, thats the only one anybody was talking about.

So where is the pvp?

Let's face it, currently the game makes fighting anyone for the fun of it into a privilege that you have to be willing to pay for, that's why people don't do it. 

Anyone who wants to PvP with a spirit of competition and honor can't really do that as long as ship loss is in.

I would much prefer a game where the majority of loss is incurred when trying to capture or defend harbors, so that the big clans that do the conquest stuff can have at it with the super expensive wars, but let the rest of the people battle it out for fun every once in a while without having to replace their ships.

So, you are explaining us that nobody want to fight, but they prefer to run if odds are not in their favor,

then you relate that when facing a fight you had little chance to win, you ran...

Hilarious :lol:

YES this is exactly my point. It was the best strategy at the time, I kept my ship and annihilated my enemy using a cheap in game "COMPLETELY LEGAL" tactic.  Although I disapprove of this tactic, It was available to me, so I exploited the crap out of it.  8 players lost their hulls, I must have made 200k in free upgrades.  I took no losses even though i was originally outnumbered 8-1... Pretty unfair.