Game-Labs Forum

[Proposal] Simple Reputation System

After some discussions the last days, about becoming a pirate with no way back, I think it might get time to think about some kind of reputation system.

Just imagine, you are tired after 8h sailing. You want to hit the bed - right after the next battle - u click and DANG! Now u are a pirate, by just clicking the wrong button. Yeah, I know .... you have to confirm your attack on a friendly vessel, but you know .... there are some people out there, who might ..... and so on, and there are others who will abuse such a system, by using .... and so forth .... whatever. Lets stop the discussion right here and find a reputation system, wich is easy to build in and wich cannot be abused that easy.

My proposal is simply based on the damage u deal. For every point of damage (or maybe every hit - depends wich is easier to implement) you deal you will get a specific amount of reputation. Maybe we can think about a cap for reputation points too, that might be finetuning, but lets give it a try. So here is my proposal in detail:

1. Preparations:

• Within all nations you will be able to build up reputation.
  • Pirates are not considered being a nation.
  • The reputation you can have with one nation, is between 0 and 2.000.000.
  • You need at least 100.000 faction points with a nation, to sail under its flag.
  • You will always sail under the flag of the nation, you have the most reputation with.
  • If you have two or more nations with the same amount of reputation points, you will sail under the flag of the nation, you reached the points first.
  • If you drop below 100.000 reputation points on all nations you will become a pirate.

2. Character Creation:

• If you start as a pirate you will have 0 reputation with all nations.
  • If you start alongside with a nation you will have 1.000.000 reputation points with this nation and 0 with all other nations.

3. How to gather Reputation

• You will get positive reputation only for hitting NPCs.
  • You will get negative reputation for hitting NPCs and Players.
  • You hit a nation vessel:   -100 / hit for the nation being hit ;; +1 / hit for every other nation
  • You hit a pirate vessel:   +5 / hit for every nation

Such a system will make the world more dynamic and the players more flexible, specially if we are looking forward the population issues this game will get. It will give the player to choose sides, even later in the game, if he is willing to go on a massive grind. Also the player is able to revert (stupid)

decissions he made at some point.

Will this system be abuseable? Maybe, but you will have to grind alot, if you have killed another player of your nation.

Enough proposal stuff for now. Everyone have a nice XMAS!

Cheers

Brog

yes i raised this issue before that we should be able to pay a fines or some how come back from being a pirate because what if your gaming drunk and tag a friendly. it really sucks waking up in jail but you pay the penalty and move on right :)

Not back then.  You woke up in jail and hung from a yardarm not long after.  ;)

Any reputation a player gains in game should be made by his or her own merits among the community and your actions. Not by grinding away on meaningless NPC's that nobody cares about. You want to gain a reputation, good or bad, then let your behavior and your actions speak for themselves based on your merits in the community and in battle against real opponents.

• Like 1