Game-Labs Forum

Integration of characters we love...Hornblower, Aubrey, etc.

I know there would be a copywright issue to clear up, but it would be awesome to play as Hornblower, or Aubrey or even Nathaniel Drinkwater.  Having a PvE campaign following thier lives and career would be interesting.  We could see if the player lives up to the characters reputation.

P.S. Could even follow historical figures like Jervis, Pellew, or Nelson.

• Like 1

If the copywrite lawyers in charge of CS Lewis' and Patrick O'Brien are too stupid to pass up free advertising there are plenty of old characters, like Captain Blood, Peter Simple, a young Captain Ahab, And there's a whole mess of historical Captains, it would be fun to fight.

Interactive scriptwriting is very hard. Such people are rare and already are making their own games or work in movies. 

Recreating an interesting depiction of Nelson's life would be possible if we can dish out 300/500k for 2-3 writers from HBO.

That could be possible in the future if the game is successful. 

If it's just the writing side of things and not the programming, I'm sure there are a lot of people knowledgable in the life of Nelson here on the forums who would leap at the chance to help. I'd take a historian over a movie writer any day...

• Like 1

I agree with Wind. Put them in in ports to give the ports a little more flavor or something. Like Nelson in Portsmouth for example.. But you could always add an infowindow to them to decribe them and what they have done to be earned a place in the history books. 

If it's just the writing side of things and not the programming, I'm sure there are a lot of people knowledgable in the life of Nelson here on the forums who would leap at the chance to help. I'd take a historian over a movie writer any day...

That is a mistake that many developers make. Great movie writers are ALSO great historians. while great historians are often not good entertaining writers.

Interactive scriptwriting is very hard. Such people are rare and already are making their own games or work in movies. 

Recreating an interesting depiction of Nelson's life would be possible if we can dish out 300/500k for 2-3 writers from HBO.

That could be possible in the future if the game is successful.

They don't have to do much, just look like they're supposed to and fight better than other NPC's, fight like bosses.

• Like 1