Game-Labs Forum

Crew recovery over time due to injured crew being treated would be fine IMO, but not crew "Kits" that just heal a certain amount. Perhaps having skilled surgeons could increase crew recovery (Maybe an officer slot).

• Like 1

Could be a crew skill, but certainly not a similar concept to the current repair kits where you press a button and your onboard wizard heals all your crew with a magic spell. 

I think it should just be a matter of time. Higher ranking healing, faster heal time.

If they inferred that crew 'lost' in battle were either killed or wounded you could have some of those crew returned to duty once the battle instance is closed.

The problem of losing so many crew in battles at the minute is a result of exaggerated grape shot effectiveness due to the lack of crew morale. Add crew morale and reduce the crew loss by at least half and this isn't an issue any more.

If you shoot someones arm of it will not magically grow back. The sailors that does not die will still after injury take a lot longer than the phase of a battle to recover enough to fight again.

I would rather see the opposite. That after a battle if you lost crew you will have to sail to harbor to recruit more men (and that should, just as repairing damage cost gold). Right now crew magically replenish after every battle and replacing them have no real cost.  

Edit: however I am not 100% against the possibility to divide casualties in battle from grape etc into dead and wounded. That however would not be for the purpose of implementing a fast "heal" in battle but rather for the possibilities if crew loss stays until you dock at port.  The dead would remain dead after you exit battle. If you exit with only 50 crew alive on a trinc you will have a really thought travel to port. However the wounded could slowly recover during the days at sea towards port. 

Example: you fight and board a ship. After boarding you are left with 100 crew able and still ready to fight and 50 wounded. The rest are dead. Now you will not be able to have any use of the wounded while still in the battle. However when you exit the battle and make way towards port you will at first only have 100 crew to man the ship but over time and days at sea the wounded will slowly recover and you will not have to replace those sailors with new costly recruits in the harbor. 

regards

KM

Edited by -KM-

I don't feel that the current system is that broken.  We should not look at the number of crew shown in the battle as those that are alive.   There are many things during a battle that would take away from the crews ability to fight, like keeping the ship afloat, attending to critically wounded etc.  once the battle is over and things are stabilized most of these men would be able to return to standard work.  if during a battle only 10% are really killed or too hurt to return to duty that wouldn't be bad,  and over time depending our how good your surgeon is this number could return to 100% good for duty,  or at least 95%.  With the 95% idea over time if you do not return to port to get more crew, you would end up with less crew.

You've put yourself in a situation where you have 5 ships shooting at you and you think you should be able to magically recover from this? :huh:

I didnt put myself in the position to a Ally was about to be tagged by someone in a ship 3 times as powerful as he so I tried to help and eventually 5 other enemies jumped in the battle.

I think it should be more realistic when it comes to healing vs severe injury. If a crewman is hit with a canonball or ship debris, he needs to lose a limb, therefore hindering his output to the rest of the crew and ship. They way you fix a severely wounded or dead crewman, should be by making way to port and getting a replacement crewman.

How does crew morale affect the effectiveness of grapeshot? I doubt back then sailors were like I'm in a good mood flying metal pellets will not hurt me!

Thought this would be an easy concept to grasp but obviously not....

At present, as there is no morale system you have to kill all of the crew for the ship to effectively surrender. If crew morale was implemented then only a fraction of the crew would need to be killed (just like in real life) before surrender would be considered, at which point grape shot would be too effective and could then be made to be less prolific at killing crew.

You wouldn't then have to expend all of you crew capturing one ship, just like in real life... and then the problem posed in the OP wouldn't exist.