Game-Labs Forum

I don't know if the following suggestion has already been made but here it is : Could it be possible ( i think it is ) to implement an audio alert when one's ship cross another and is about to be engaged. I suggest so because it is highly frustrating to find the ship u left on his  quiet way to Hispaniola sunk when u are back. Anyone can understand it is pretty boaring to watch waves for hours, waiting to see the ground at the horizon.

So why not a thundering " sail in sight ! " or " everybody on deck !" and the quarter-bell ringing ? it whould suffice to let the speakers out loud  and then  allow us, navigators, to shave , cook or whatever instead of hours of sea contemplation.

Please, no automated task on deck.

We captains need more lively and immersive tasks on deck during OW sea crossing to make it interesting (such as crew and stock management, more realistic sailing and navigation, logbook writing...), not less activity. 

At the moment, watching our enemies and steering our ship are our only one on-deck activities in OW !

By the way, spyglass are needed in OW  ;)

PS : by the way, imagine a sailor shouting " sail in sight ! " every 30 seconds in some areas... I would quickly hang him. :D 

• Like 1

Of course, but Alert as requested by Enseigne Fricotin is for those who do something else... while playing NA (such as watching a movie, having dinner, walking in the garden...).

Isn't it a strange feature : a feature in order not to have to play the game... :wacko:

For those who aren't interested in OW and favor instantaneous action, a skirmish mode is in preparation, isn't it ?

And without on-deck activities, you'll have players like Enseigne Fricotin bored by the OW...

However, it's just an OW test with few testers...

PS : "simulation of life" is a big word. There were crew "management" and mutiny risk even in an action game like Sid Meier's Pirates...

Edited by LeBoiteux

Capatin Felix Mercator says:

"I know that as a captain I carry all the responsibility for my good vessel and crew, still I'm human and like to take a nap from time to time. Especially on long voyages. In the 'captain's orders', signed by all officers upon joining my vessel, I have established a system to wake me up in the following situations:

• If weather worsens
  • In restricted visibilty
  • If there is any difficulty in maintaininy my ordered course with sufficient speed (wind chance)
  • If in doubt of ship's position
  • If landfall has made
  • If a sail is sighted (Depending on my mood foe and/or friend)
  • If any officers are incapable of taking over watch
  • If there is any doubt on any matter

I also expect all officers to keep a good and true record of the vessels progress and all incidents in the ships log.

Sadly my officers are incompetent monkeys and NEVER EVER wake me up."

There should be an option if, when and how to be noticed on the above mentioned situations. By sound and/or by alert dialog box and/or by message on Naval Action Smartphone App after X min of inactivity and/or pressing the take a rest in cabin button.

Edited by Merc

It's certainly not my way of playing Monsieur Le boiteux . Just as i said, what's the point in sitting in front of a screen watching waves for hours and nothing else to do ? So , as it is by now, i'd rather make my time profitable and do something else usefull while navigation. I suggest you do not make quick and false conclusions regarding my way of playing.

Salutations.

@ Enseigne Fricotin :

Obviously I haven't made any judgment about your way of playing. Not my concern at all. No harm intended. Have fun. :)

I was only discussing about the idea of automating an OW task. I dislike it.

IMHO, devs had better fill possible free (hence boring) time in OW with on-deck activities rather than extend it. 

Alert would be understandable in a real-time sailing simulation with lots of free time, not in a fast-paced action game like Naval Action that should need focus.

There are so many things to do in the OW in terms of sailing, navigation, exploration and management gameplay for an historical naval game...

Just my opinion. ;)

Edited by LeBoiteux