Game-Labs Forum

Naval Action - Achievements

Hello,

I believe Achievement system and rewards are very important part of any game and I hope Naval Action will have it as well.  Suggest your achievement category or just fun achievements for each listed category. 

Achievement points

Generate special achievement points by doing achievements from each category. Daily will give you 1 (SAP) point per achievement, while monthly can give you 10 (SAP) points per achievement etc. Collected special achievement points (SAP) can be used to purchase rare chests. Such chests will have a chance to drop very unique items:

Ship paint coats.

Boost packs.

Cannon Skins.

and more cool items.

My suggestion:

Achievements categories:

1. Daily

Repeatable achievements; resets each day.

2. Monthly

Repeatable achievements; resets each Month.

3. Story line

Complete challenges in the story line missions. 

4. Exploration

Complete specific challenges in the open world exploration.

5. PvP

Complete specific challenges in the PvP gameplay. 

6. Collections

Complete specific challenges by collection artifacts and rare items and animals. 

7. General.

Complete specific challenges by killing/ capturing npcs, causing infrastructure damage to hostile ports and economy. 

Please suggest achievements missions for each section.

Example 

4. Exploration

-Locate and dock in (port name). - Reward (Exploration Skill +5, Gold 2000)

-Discover abandoned light houses 1/10 - Reward (Exploration Skill +15, Gold 10 000)

7. General

-Sink 5 Spanish East India ships - Reward (Fighting Skill +1, Reputation +5, Gold 2000)

-Sink 10 in (region name) - Reward (Fighting Skill +1, Reputation +5, Gold 10 000)

• Like 5

This sounds awfully arcady to me. For me, the point of a sandbox MMO is that you can do whatever you want and find your own rewards in it. By creating pre-set awards, the gameplay is channelled into pre-set patterns, which actually narrows down the creative gameplay opportunities. Any artificial reward system just masks the lack of enduring gameplay by shepherding the players into pre-set patterns.

I'm not playing an open world game so that I can get rewards for semi random predefined threshold values. I play an open world game because I can define my own goals, my own achievements and my own victories. What's more, I can create goals for my guild mates, maybe even reward them with medals if they succeed above expectations in a task set. In a sandbox game, the players create the content.

Just my two three cents,

Edit: I sure hope we don't get a 'skill set', such as 'exploration skill': I want to be good in exploring, I don't see the point in collecting a skill that says I'm good in exploring, because that way, in the end, everybody will be 'best' in exploring.

The same goes for gunnery: I want to the player skill to determine whether you hit or not, I don't want the player's skill boosted by some number that can be farmed or collected.

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 2

i would like a balance between both of the above. there are pro's and con's to each, and i have faith in the devs to get that balance right.

one time bonuses i think are great for games as a reward for completing something major. 100 ships sunk, 1,000,000 damage caused, gold earned etc.

there is a sense of accomplishment in hard to earn achievements, and gives the player something to strive for. and finish in their own time.

as where the time limited achievements seem to add hostility to the game if someone can't complete it on time.

(something that happened in WoT and WT causing mass rage in chat over damage and kill steals, and i'd hate to see that element creep in here).

on the other hand, these daily/monthly rewards can help the more casual player make some sort of progress.

This sounds awfully arcady to me. For me, the point of a sandbox MMO is that you can do whatever you want and find your own rewards in it. By creating pre-set awards, the gameplay is channelled into pre-set patterns, which actually narrows down the creative gameplay opportunities. Any artificial reward system just masks the lack of enduring gameplay by shepherding the players into pre-set patterns.

I'm not playing an open world game so that I can get rewards for semi random predefined threshold values. I play an open world game because I can define my own goals, my own achievements and my own victories. What's more, I can create goals for my guild mates, maybe even reward them with medals if they succeed above expectations in a task set. In a sandbox game, the players create the content.

Just my two three cents,

Edit: I sure hope we don't get a 'skill set', such as 'exploration skill': I want to be good in exploring, I don't see the point in collecting a skill that says I'm good in exploring, because that way, in the end, everybody will be 'best' in exploring.

The same goes for gunnery: I want to the player skill to determine whether you hit or not, I don't want the player's skill boosted by some number that can be farmed or collected.

Cheers,

Brigand

I think ahead. If we will have avatars and story line then you can't have game without achievements. In current state I agree, there is no point. Also, all skills are boosted by fighting or doing specific actions am I wrong? Also, any suggestions are welcome. I would like to hear more on the 'create goals for my guild mates' idea.  How would you implement that? Are there any games that have similar goals system?

In general, I believe achievements keep people entertained and ask them to come back and keep playing to reach the final reward. If you knew, when you kill 100 pirates and reward is a unique 'paint coat' or a 'title' for your ships, would you do it?  :D What if devs would present monthly or weekly achievement missions with unique rewards? Do you think people would be interested?

I really would like to hear devs point of view and what they think about it, other than that I think it's a must have feature. 

• Like 1

I think the rewards system can definitely work well for the open world, if the idea is thought through a bit more (which Wind is obviously open to-he admits that the specifics are beta-worthy at best).  The rewards can encourage exploration of individuals, instead of just joining a guild that will give you their fully explored world charts (if that's an options).  Fighting can increase experience for the crew, thus giving slightly (slightly is key) increased reload times, a smaller spread of fire and/or quicker sighting after changing the angle of the cannons (maybe linked to specific officers, so you can work up a hired gunner through experience or pay more for an officer with greater experience).  Heck, we've talked about morale earlier for ship's crews, so sailing with an experienced and decorated captain can help that.  For a number of successful actions against an enemy, or sinking a notorious pirate, etc., a monetary award from a merchant's guild would not be unrealistic.  These are concepts that we've discussed before, and making them 'achievements' is just one way of doing it.  Many people are in agreement that the more customized you can make your ship, the better.  This goes from cargo space to cannon load-out(speed vs. range vs. power), to additional speed (copper bottom, experienced mate to stow supplies for best trim, studdingsails, etc.) to appearances (naming, custom paint schemes).  So, maybe calling them 'achievements' is a little arcade-like, but it seems that it would fit with many of the Steam games, and not all achievements necessarily need to have in-game rewards.  Some might purely be bragging rights, but would help give some players goals to achieve and avoid boredom if they're the type of gamer that wants achievements.

In short, I like the concept, but the specifics obviously need to be honed a bit.

I have grown to love open world gameplay and find myself no longer buying games that are linear.

After playing MMOs that allow you to get lost in the world and do what you want when you want is my kind of play these days.

That being said sometimes without a purpose you find yourself saying... hmmm now what do i do?

Sure its easy for someone to say " go do this or go do that" but really its about me and what I like.

There has been many moods I have gone through on any given day and sometimes just working on achievements is a nice getaway from " the grind"

I know this isn't like other MMOs with an avatar you are trying to "level" up but none the less it is a place I will be spending some time in.

I would like to add that in NO way am I talking about leader board stuff.... loath them. I don't care how I rank against others with more time to play games than me. What I do like is having challenges for me to work on other than PVP. Me kill ... me kill good!!

About the rewards.. this is where I'm not sure I want exp or things that make me better than other players or gives me a artificial advantage. Cosmetic stuff is ok but how far can you go? Maybe flags...figure heads...cannon models... crew uniforms...darn I say sea shanties haha... paint schemes... Not sure we want giant emblems on sails but eh I dunno...

anyway just my thoughts

Edited by StuffinBeard

I'm torn. Achievements should not drive gameplay persay... Agreed with Brigand. But there should be additional content over and above the core mechanics.

I've limited experience in mmo sandbox that is similar in style to what we think NA will be. Eve and Potbs, versus Arma, as example... I'd consider all 3 sandbox, but the first 2 are closer to NA.

During down times, or just for a change of pace, I loved doing the arc mission lines. Potbs was a blast trying to collect in game titles you could use ingame. I especially loved "Battle Worn Commander", achieved after losing 50 or more port battles (it might have been "Unlucky Commander", in either event, I had them both...).

In short: the idea has merit. It is called "content creation" and gives folks some direction when questioning "What SHOULD I do...".

Edited by Grim DeGrim
  • Like 1