Game-Labs Forum

My first feedback as a sailor "Bravo"

Hello Devs and Folks

First let me say i had a blast the last couple of hours playing NA.

You guys made so much right :) And this is early alpha! Bravo!

Ive sailed over the atlantic see two years ago on board of a schoner maden in 1930. One of my best experience i had so far.

This leads me to my first "suggestion" for NA. (I try to use the right englisch expressions in sailing)

Some things might not be feasible because of its complexity.

Sailing:

- A ship with reefed sails is similar to a nutshell in the water. Its already simulated in game. But not hard enought. I think a ship with down sails

should be more unstable than right now. (This pretend people to stand still and being snipers) And believe me allready small waves are shaking so hard. Actually the small pointed waves are even more unbearable than big ones.

- The heel of the ship with sails set is well made! It gives great tactical options. But therfore i think we need the posibilaty to unrigg the top sail (rah) separately to prevent to heel to much in case the enemy is on lee side. (Or we can set the sails just half, for example the fock. So the airpressure is closer to the deck.

- While every ship has the effect of lee helm and weather helm (depends of the rig) that should be simulated and therefore id would be great if the rudder acts with relative positioning (not flipping allway back to idle) This would bring more tactical decisioning in sailing. Because the rudder is a resistances.

- Last but not least. I would die if you give us the option to set a Mars sail. This would take big amount of time to set but... Enought said ;)

Combat: (Here i do not have any experince ;)

- I would like to have the oportunity to send a sailor on masthead. He will give me more information about the enemy and earlier. (with your new Damage Model 4.0 i would love it when the damage of a enemy ship is only a assumption and has to refere to visual sight. (so you cant se the backside of it)

- In naval combat they have comunicate with flags. May this could be verry helpfull if we have this option too. Direct instructions to a choosen ship would be verry helpfull.

- Overall i would like to see more detailed crew management. Im sure this will come anyway...

- Other than that everything works great so far. Realy looking forward to DM 4.0 ;)

Bugs:

- Which bugs?

- Only one crash in 8 hours. And i couldnt reproduce it, so i decided not to bugreport it.

- May the outfitting window is buggy. I only can fit the first canon left/right on those four bars. Not sure its meant to be like this. Will see...

Thanks for listenig and see you guys out there. I love this game. A dream came true :)

Cheers

Sir Henry Morgan

• Like 3

- The heel of the ship with sails set is well made! It gives great tactical options. But therfore i think we need the posibilaty to unrigg the top sail (rah) separately to prevent to heel to much in case the enemy is on lee side. (Or we can set the sails just half, for example the fock. So the airpressure is closer to the deck.

You can set sails to battle mode with "B" button. It reduces heeling significantly.

You can set sails to battle mode with "B" button. It reduces heeling significantly.

Thanks for this tip. I used it yesterday and its verry helpful.

I earned the brig yesterday. Its strange i caused more damage with the cutter ?

I have the feeling, that the brig is verry slow and sluggish and the two extra cannons do not compensate the disantvetage of manuvering.

Even a full broadside with double tends to do less damage as the six canons of the cutter.

I have the feeling that the ballistics of 6pd double behave different than on the cutter.

Is it just me or does other people think the brigg is a downgrade to the cutter in any aspect ?

How do you guys use the brigg. Distance or close ? Double or ball for close range ?

Thanks!

Sir Henry Morgan

Thanks for this tip. I used it yesterday and its verry helpful.

I earned the brig yesterday. Its strange i caused more damage with the cutter ?

I have the feeling, that the brig is verry slow and sluggish and the two extra cannons do not compensate the disantvetage of manuvering.

Even a full broadside with double tends to do less damage as the six canons of the cutter.

I have the feeling that the ballistics of 6pd double behave different than on the cutter.

Is it just me or does other people think the brigg is a downgrade to the cutter in any aspect ?

How do you guys use the brigg. Distance or close ? Double or ball for close range ?

Thanks!

Sir Henry Morgan

Currently, a 6lb is a 6lb is a 6lb.  If you're doubleshotting the Brig, your "feeling" that it is doing less damage with 8 guns than the Cutter did with 6 just isn't correct - unless you're missing with more than two of the guns.  You likely caused more overall damage with the cutter because the fore/aft rig is more versatile than the square rig in inexperienced hands - it's "easier" to sail, so you were in position to do damage more often.  Once you get used to the square rig, and learn to sail manually, you'll do a lot more damage than you did in your cutter.

The cutter is a small target.   It is harder to hit a cutter so in the brig you are probably sinking faster or having to try and evade more than you did in the cutter.  Brig also turns slower, so in the Cutter you can often get 2 broadsides or maybe you had carronades loaded?  They double the broadside weight.