Game-Labs Forum

Fall of shot announcement

When firing ranging shots it would be good to have an audible "we're falling short" "we're long sir" or "we're on target, give them hell!"   You would have people spotting shots for the gun crews and adding some crew voices with suitable voice actors would add some good colour and depth.  Wont detract from actually watching the fall of shot to determine lateral spread but for ranging, it'd be useful.

Apologies if this has come up before,

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 1

The thing is, how is the game supposed to know what you are aiming for? Imagine there are 2 enemy ships next to each other, and your first broadside hits exactly between them. What will the game announce now? How is it supposed to know whether you were aiming for either of these ships?

And what if you don't even want to hit the ship, and just give a warning shot or 2? Keep in mind that this game will be open world, so fighting and winning a match will not be the one thing to do.

• Like 1

I don't think it'd detract too much from the use of ranging shots and telescopes, not sure I would rely on audible queues alone, as mentioned above you need to use the telescope to watch the shot to see where it lands laterally you could also be miles short and would be wasting shots creeping it in where viewing through the telescope would show you as miles short and you required major adjustment

FtF has another good point on why you would need to use the telescope as well, I'm sure the collision model could figure out who it 'thought' you were aiming for but it could be wrong.  For a warning shot you should be firing in front of the ship, not short or over it.

I'm not advocating getting rid of the telescope or not using ranging shots but adding the voices for colour and some audible confirmation.

Cheers,

Alan

I have also thought about having audio cues in this. Like for example when your guns are all reloaded you are told "All guns loaded and ready to go Sir!"

Or when youve hit 30% water/leaks there will be some sort of "Theres an awfully lot of water coming in Sir" or "Where taking in too much water Cap'n!"

I imagine the voice being this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9S1iK3HnGo#t=235 :D

More audio cues could be made for various situations. (Lost a canon, too close to enemy ship, low on ammo etc)

It would make sailing the open world a much more fun experience and you would feel more attached to your ship and crew aswell.

• Like 2