Game-Labs Forum

Returning Player and Meta

Landsman

Question

Ahoy, Captains!

I took a break from NA for a long time but i like alot of the recent changes and now i am back. Sadly i couldn't convince my mates to give it another shot but i won't stop trying if NA keeps heading in this right direction. I'm really not a fan of the new repair system but i guess i'll have to live with it...  Anyways with all the new upgrades / "skillbooks" it's rather hard for a old fart like me to figure out what the meta is currently, so i hope you can help me. I'm looking for 2 specific builds for starters.

1. I want to build myself a raider frigate for boarding and i was thinking maybe Renommée, because it has high base speed ( im really not a fan of not having bow chasers but at least it has them in the stern ) ? Mabye surprise is better? There are so many upgrades for boarding alone that seem viable... Marines, Barricades, Bookof5Rings etc. so i would appreciate any input on wood type, upgrades & skillbooks, what guns etc. ...

2. If i find the right clan i'd like to get into RvR and start at shallows ( baby steps ), so i'd appreciate any advice / input on RvR and the shallow ship ( still heavyrattler? ) i should get for it with what wood / upgrades / guns etc. 

Thanks in advance and fair winds!

13 answers to this question

1 hour ago, rediii said:

For 2.;... which nation and server are you in?

Haven't decided yet...

1 hour ago, rediii said:

1. depends what engagements you are searching for. With a reno you want to hit 15kn cap and sterncamp until you can board. Use fir fir for that. (ofc you have to know how to angle yourself then

Isn't fir/fir too squishy? Would you recommend Surprise instead?

I humbly recommend the Surprise to answer #1. She is not nearly as fast but her unique sailing qualities and x4 stern chasers really help when being chased at least. As long as you position yourself well and manage the bow guns, you should be able to keep trade ships and fleeing foes under your guns.

The Surprise is simply the superior fighting ship. Well-armed, quite maneuverable, brilliant sailing qualities and blessed with a plethora of chasers.  A teak-teak build is excellent, I do not recommend fir-fir as it's very common in PVP that a second or third ship will be able to fire upon you as you maneuver. Teak will fetch you a good speed and good protection, thus you can stand up to a few hard hits whilst still being fast.

• Like 2

On 25.9.2017 at 11:28 PM, _Masterviolin said:

A teak-teak build is excellent, I do not recommend fir-fir as it's very common in PVP that a second or third ship will be able to fire upon you as you maneuver. Teak will fetch you a good speed and good protection, thus you can stand up to a few hard hits whilst still being fast.

On 25.9.2017 at 4:37 PM, rediii said:

fir fir

Some dude told me Teak/Bermuda is good, can you confirm this? Also why does nobody use bermuda/bermuda? I remember that was a thing and it still has close to fir speed but less negatives?

On 9/26/2017 at 5:25 AM, Landsman said:

I was seriously considering it but i like to hunt solo and it doesn't seem like having not a single stern chaser would do me any good...

If supported she is an excellent brawler, I was mauled badly by one whilst sailing an Aggie in a small 4th rate engagement a few weeks ago. I was surprised by how maneuverable she was for her stats!

On 29/9/2017 at 12:37 AM, Landsman said:

Yeah, but i have nobody to support me when im solo...

for solo, go surprise: teak/teak with speed mods. And I'd choose long cannons over carros. But that's me, since carros can be very effective if you are able to keep short distance.

Only renos and endys really outrun you (and hardly at close haul).

Reno ... you can easily outgun her. 

Endy .... you have to take advantage on her awful sailing profile and turn rate.

Pirate frigate is good also ... but: 1) no bow chasers is a huge downside if you want to flee the combat; 2) it costs much more than a surp to replace.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2017 at 8:01 AM, Landsman said:

Some dude told me Teak/Bermuda is good, can you confirm this? Also why does nobody use bermuda/bermuda? I remember that was a thing and it still has close to fir speed but less negatives?

I think the mentality is that if you're going to go for a speed-leaning build you might as well go all the way with a fir-fir build instead of using a rarer, more expensive wood to get less speed. 

Teak-Bermuda's stats are as follows, with the first entry being the framing, second the planking, third the total.

Structure HPs -2.5% 0.% -2.5%
Side HPs -3.% 1.% -2.%
Front HPs -3.% 1.% -2.%
Back HPs -3.% 1.% -2.%
Side Thickness - 4.% 0.% - 4.%
Front Thickness - 4.% 0.% - 4.%
Back Thickness - 4.% 0.% - 4.%
Leaks Resistance -0.5% 10.% 9.5%
Crew Resistance 0.% 0.% 0.%
Fire Increase Resistance -5.% 3.% -2.%
Max Speed 5.% 1.75% 6.75%
Acceleration 5.% 1.75% 6.75%
Rudder Turn rate 2.% 1.75% 3.75%
Turn acceleration 2% 1.75% 3.75%

In comparison, here's Bermuda-Bermuda.

Structure HPs -2.5% 0.% -2.5%
Side HPs -3.% -3.% -6.%
Front HPs -3.% -3.% -6.%
Back HPs -3.% -3.% -6.%
Side Thickness - 4.% - 4.% - 8.%
Front Thickness - 4.% - 4.% - 8.%
Back Thickness - 4.% - 4.% - 8.%
Leaks Resistance -0.5% -5.% -5.5%
Crew Resistance 0.% -10.% -10.%
Fire Increase Resistance -5.% -1.5% -6.5%
Max Speed 5.% 5.% 10.%
Acceleration 5.% 3.% 8.%
Rudder Turn rate 2.% 1.75% 3.75%
Turn acceleration 2% 1.75% 3.75%
  • Like 1

On 1.10.2017 at 8:19 PM, _Masterviolin said:

think the mentality is that if you're going to go for a speed-leaning build you might as well go all the way with a fir-fir build instead of using a rarer, more expensive wood to get less speed. 

OK, that sounds reasonable...

On 1.10.2017 at 8:19 PM, _Masterviolin said:

Teak-Bermuda's stats are as follows, with the first entry being the framing, second the planking, third the total.

I know the numbers, thanks... I just wonder if it is good or not...

On 26.9.2017 at 12:30 AM, John Cavanaugh said:

Pirate frigate is best ship

On 1.10.2017 at 10:54 AM, victor said:

Pirate frigate is good

On 28.9.2017 at 6:18 PM, _Masterviolin said:

she is an excellent brawler,

So what wood would i use for the pirate frig? I was thinking of running 12pd longs on both decks, because it has higher dps than the 18pds and needs less gun crew... Also is it worth running it for boarding? Would that change the wood type?

7 minutes ago, Landsman said:

So what wood would i use for the pirate frig? I was thinking of running 12pd longs on both decks, because it has higher dps than the 18pds and needs less gun crew... Also is it worth running it for boarding? Would that change the wood type?

dunno, I do not usually board. I'm more on the side of sinking my opponent and for this I'd prefer 18p for higher penetration