Game-Labs Forum

Questions (Because I’m a bit frustrated)

Questions (Because I’m a bit frustrated)

I love the truer to life battles; however I feel that some aspect of them could stand improvement.

1. How is it that I cannot turn through the wind at 87% sails in a brig, but an enemy NPC in a brig can turn through with 45% and no bowsprit? I don’t mind that the NPC can do it…as long as I can as well.
  2. How is it that I can stern rake an armor less enemy (each shot hitting) and do no damage? Heavy iron balls shot down the open length of a deck doing no real damage…possible…but unlikely.
  3. How is it that I can stern rake an armor less enemy with grape (each shot hitting) and do zero damage to the crew? I can see a random loss of many too few. The idea of thousands of steel balls rattling down the length of a ship and injuring no one, time after time is…questionable.
  4. Why would bumping a much, much smaller enemy ship do the same amount of damage to both?  The smaller ship rarely gives as well as it gets.
  5. Does every bump, no matter how insignificant have to cause a ship sinking leak? Not very realistic. Some damage sure, not emergency repair level, every time.
  6. Why is an enemy ship with 5 crew left, against 60, still fighting? At a certain percentage they need to give up. A trader ship should surrender percentage wise far fast then a war ship.

Great game but, come on.

Turning through the wind....is HARD....when starting out.  I'll have a look, but I'm certain I've a video of turning low speed through the wind in a victory, with "survival" mode engaged.  Manual sails is very important, and extra so in large ships.  WIND is correct, though the explaination hardly helps a new player :)

The challenges you list are things which make mastery of the game worth persuing - you will not get it upon opening the box.  It takes time.

Through wind to the left

<-- Sails   A   Q-\-/-C

Through wind to the right

--> Sails   D  E-/-\-Z

T - to quickly stop

F- reset sails to auto

Good to see moderators know this game back to front /s

I think you will find it is the opposite of this for turning through the wind.

Turning right is D Q and C

Turning left is A E and Z

Easiest way is just to go close haul double tap the 3 keys and then when you are through the wind press F. You can then learn to do it more efficiently from there,

Edited by Reonhato

5. Does every bump, no matter how insignificant have to cause a ship sinking leak? Not very realistic. Some damage sure, not emergency repair level, every time.

They are sensitive to that in part, I think, to discourage ramming.  IRL, it was a suicide move and was basically never done.  In the earlier tests it was a viable tactic which had to be compensated for.

• Like 1