Game-Labs Forum

Lost on the High Seas (map addition)

As my first post I have a suggestion.  I request an inkling of where I am on the map.  To be clear, I am not after a laser perfect GPS pointer...nope.  But navigation in that time was also not as hit and miss as their charts, compass, speed measurements, and other navigational aids were accurate enough to allow ships to cross the oceans and build great trade empires.

What I suggest is a circle, an area indication of where the Navigator believes the ship is.  As the ship travels and spends more time traveling, the circle gets bigger indicating the growing inaccuracy that occurs, to a limit.  The point is that the player is somewhere inside the circle.  This way those that are navigationally challenged (waves hello) can have some reference point, based on the science of the day, for finding our way around.

I know that the developers are wary of putting a marker on the map.  But if done right, the marker need not be precise, just an indication that we may need to adjust course to make our destination.  Especially since sometimes the fastest route is not the direct one.  Ok, first post done...now I will saunter off and see if I can figure out where my ship is.

1. as you gain experiance with navigation you will know around where you are with the current system.

2. i wouldnt mind tools to help you with finding your location, however they should not be in the form of a circle of where on the map you are, as that would in my opinion almost be as accurate as an exact point on the map of your location.

It would be very hard to create any navigational aid without defining a starting position relative or otherwise.  After all, to find a course, you need a destination and a starting point.  And yes a circle can indicate.  And as for 1...heh.  I can barely navigate a three block radius around where I live I think your expectations are highly optimistic.

Depending the time period this is set, you could have to buy a Chronometer.  Remember the invention of the chronometer was the defining point in navigation that allowed the navigators to find Longitude.  They would be new and shiny tech in this games time.