Game-Labs Forum

Forum Question

I've lurked on this forum for quite sometime, years in fact, and now with EA launch have started to post. Initially I was reluctant, because my interest in reading this forum was purely to divine where the Devs wanted to take this game. Nonetheless, one thing is curious to me and I'm hoping I could have the question cleared up. I often see player moderators on this forum posting as if they are developers. Are the moderators developers also or are they purely members of the community chosen to moderate this forum? As it is weird to me to see fellow players attempting to enforce their view regarding game-play and other developments while using forum titles which purport that they are "staff". My understanding is that Admin is the only developer that posts on these boards.

No offense is intended by this question. I think the moderators do a wonderful job, but I am concerned that their task of moderating this forum and moderating the discussion of potential game features and changes creates a conflict of interest that may hamper discussion. As I have seen numerous times where forum moderators post about a potential feature in the game and that changes the whole direction of the organic community discussion.

Are all the moderators on this forum developers? 

Thanks!

Edited by Wilberforce

If you look directly above the blue "Staff" tab on most, you will see that some actually have "Developer" above it. Many of the Moderators here are simply players volunteering their time, and nothing else.

Others are both Moderators and actual developers.

Check out this list to see who is what.

Edited by William the Drake
  • Like 2

What William said sums it up pretty well. However, we do have access to information and discussions from Admin that we will use to answer questions when possible because he simply cannot keep up with the forums himself (though he does a very good job of it). On top of that most moderators are long time members that have followed the development process from the beginning so they generally have a large knowledge of the game.

The developers are active and watch the forum for feedback but they generally don't post unless it's directly to handle a technical issue or if a member is having a problem. They are definitely present though.

No offense is intended by this question. I think the moderators do a wonderful job, but I am concerned that their task of moderating this forum and moderating the discussion of potential game features and changes creates a conflict of interest that may hamper discussion. As I have seen numerous times where forum moderators post about a potential feature in the game and that changes the whole direction of the organic community discussion.

Don't go down this path James.