Game-Labs Forum

Thought this was interesting

Justme

About the genre, when someone asked in another forum why there are no good AOS games

"Default

I will still fire up the original Talonsoft Age of Sail although like all early John Tiller naval games it ignores the existence of little things like land, time of day and for the most part, weather. Age of Sail 2 was a minor improvement in some respects but was self-limiting due to the total absence of a scenario editor.

In this age of instant gratification, the pace of any sailing ship combat simulator would be far too slow for the ADHD generation given that movement to contact was typically at a mere 2 or 3 knots. Nelson's ships took some 6-hours to close on the Combined Fleet, every minute of which changed the relative positions of the forces but even with TC would proceed at a snail's pace for the patience challenged out there. Of course the battles could always commence within firing range and so any simulator worthy of the name would probably conclude in historical results as many naval actions were decided before the first shot was fired due to relative positions when combat commenced.

Also, graphics fanatics would endlessly nit-pick specific rigging arrangements, paint schemes and of course, the player perspective would require either a horrible god's-eye view (like SES Jutland/Distant Guns) or a quarterdeck POV that would limit the spectacle aspects of the game. Finding common ground for these fundamental programming considerations would be next to impossible.

So, I suspect given the very limited potential commercial market and the inherent difficulty of meeting gamer's expectations we will not see any mainstream sailing warship simulator worthy of the name. That said, there's always a chance that some independent person or team will produce one as a labour of love but don't hold your breath.

I feel your pain at this omission but do not expect anything to change anytime soon."

As seen here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=188692

Looking at some of the discussions and disagreements here, could not help but think of this.

• Like 1

Woah, subsim forums, i've not been on them for a good few years, i used to use them all the time when i played Silent hunter 3 with the Grey wolves mod.

HAD TO LOVE

all mod topics looking like

a total unnavigable mess

<_< 

exactly like this