Game-Labs Forum

Increased Exp for leaving protected areas

If it was made so it was 2x exp and gold when you're in territory thats reinforced by the enemy faction that it would give more reason to leave your own territory. 

My experience so far has been mostly just hanging out around port royal, and leveling up. I've seen no real reason to go to enemy territory other than for port battles. 

I think this would give a good risk/reward to move around the map more.

• Like 3

Its all those damn missions 

We implemented them to solve potential bot crisis (no NPC) and to provide honor kills opportunities. 

Before them you had to actually sail around and find enemies. But the downtime was huge sometimes. You could sail for 2 hours and see NOBODY.

ps its good you like risk..

• Like 1

Maybe when you implement crew, make it so they can only be found at free towns that are at different areas around the map. Or they have specialized crew that can't be found elsewhere. This would encourage convoys to go through enemy territory.

I guess upgrades, resources or something else could also serve as a carrot to encourage more people taking risks far from home port.

Need to create incentive to sail away.

I'd suggest offering missions that are much farther away from the port, but more gold and XP compared to the missions you see now. This sorta mimics the original poster's suggestion.

If more players travel further that increases the odds of running into ships from other nations. Sometimes that might not be true (could send you deeper into friendly territory instead) but sometimes it might. A pathwork of longer sailing missions across the map just forces players to sail further from their home ports. With all the encounter potential that entails.

I think that is the simplest solution that works within the existing framework of the game. Yes players could continue to stay in friendly seas and grind away on the standard missions but adventurous players will look for the more lucrative mission payouts, even if it means more sailing time and greater risk of running into ships from other nations.

With respect op, that is just how you chose to play, and you are able to enjoy the relative safety of the small player population at present. However, the first thing I did on setting sail for the first time was to sail out and away from my ports protected area. Sooner or later, if players like you want to trade and move goods around you will have to move out into the world at large. Otherwise you will be confined to a very small playfield, quickly growing bored.

If it really does become a problem post launch which I doubt, set a minimum range for higher ranked missions so players have to move out to reach them. Once the game has a larger player population many merchants and smaller fleets will be picked off before reaching the safety of protected player areas, leaving the mice nothing to do but move out.

Edited by Hexcaliber

While I do agree that's just the way I've chosen to play, and i fully intend on pvping. Right now when you're grinding up there is no reason to leave safety. Which isn't a problem, it would just be good to have some sort of mechanic to encourage people to get out there.

While the safety might change with higher population, I'm not conviced, part of it is because of the safe instances nature of missions. The other is there will be more players on every side. it will be even harder for small groups to attack people around capitals, and large groups will likely be noticed before they get close to creating problems for mission runners.

So while it's fine to let people level up in relative safety, adding an option to get more exp while risking their own ships would encourage movement to opposing zones.