Game-Labs Forum

Steam Cache Problems - DONT LOG IN TO STEAM RELATED WEBSITES!

William the Drake

Not sure where else to put this so here it is;

There are news stories popping up claiming that Steam has had a bug come up in it's account system, with email, credit card, and purchase information being accessed at random, as well as people gaining access to other's accounts

Many sites are warning users to not load Steam at this time, and that if you have loaded Steam, to check your credit card accounts to ensure nothing fishy is going on. 

Considering NA runs via Steam, I feel this is pertinent info

Be safe out there captains. 

From what we read

Its safe to login to play games BUT ONLY THAT

Its not safe to login and look at stores, buy other games, change payment methods, or login to steam website www.stea mpowered.com

UPDATE: According to an official statement by Valve given to GameSpot, the issue was a caching bug and that everything is "ok" now.

-GameSpot Update

Fair winds and swift seas,

Edited by William the Drake

1. it is not a DDOS, please dont call it a DDOS

2. Nor is it a hack, it is an error with the  caching system that steam is using

3. yeah, check credit card info and such, however dont access steam at this time as it can cause others to "gain" acces.

4. your account is safe, however any sensetive info you have on steam can be viewed, but they cant do anything with your account as they are not logged in to it

edit: note this is what i gathered from the situation, i might be wrong, dont open any steam pages at this stage!

Edited by OlavDeng2
  • Like 1

1. it is not a DDOS, please dont call it a DDOS

2. Nor is it a hack, it is an error with the  caching system that steam is using

I didn't realize, as many outlets are calling it one thing or the other, or something completely different. I'll edit to reflect.

EDIT: Could someone also change the title to reflect this? Thank you in advance

Edited by William the Drake

I didn't realize, as many outlets are calling it one thing or the other, or something completely different. I'll edit to reflect.

you find that with news now a days a lot, they say whatever will bring in the most clicks... it is sad really, but oh well

Its probably goodwill PR/damage control - no-one knows what happened.