Game-Labs Forum

Typical Online Game Lifespan

Noob

I've played several MMOs, and I noticed all of them are very similar in lifespan.

Stage 1, New Release:  A new online game hits the market, everyone's excited about it, popularity begins to rise!

Stage 2, Logical Updates: The game goes through a few stages where graphics and gameplay are updated through several revisions, the changes are generally an improvement, more content, or updated content. More people join the game.

Stage 3, Peak Popularity: The game is very popular and enjoyable, most people love the game, and there is generally a very large and pleased community.

Stage 4, Dropping Profits: The developers begin to notice a slight decline in profits, but instead of updating their game, and advertising more content, most developers counter this by adding more things to buy.

Stage 5, Quit Threads: The community begins to show their disgust at the attempt to drive more dollars out of their wallets, and so creates a large number of 'I Quit' threads.

Stage 6, Panic: The company flagship game no longer is the shiny example of enjoyable online entertainment, and is now sinking faster and faster into oblivion.

Stage 7, Stagnation: Most games stick around for a bit before they are finally closed, but without the money or excitement to drive updates, the game remains mostly the same, usually making just enough money to keep the servers online, this stage usually lasts around a few years.

Stage 8, Closure or Remake: Dark Orbit went the remake option, EA just straight up closed Need for Speed World and BattleField Heroes. The remake is almost never as popular as the original, but it can sometimes go through its own cycle.

well, you can also get things like world of tanks and to a lesser extent war thunder, remain popular for years on years, this is especially the case for unique games, honestly naval action has to do really stupid things to do badly simply due to how naval action is the only game like this on the market.

What you described above is generally for generic RPG games, take a look at world of warcraft for example, they are good success, and they have been going on for year on years.

Edited by OlavDeng2