Game-Labs Forum

Relocation and Shallows around ports

A couple of suggestions from me.

I have tended to find myself stuck in and around the English Harbour area, couple of reasons for this, one is the time I have to play and the fact that I have ships there I want to use. For me to relocate elsewhere would be a big time sink. It took me 2 days of my playable time to get to Jamaica from there once. Anyway, so I was wondering if it might be a good idea to have a way of allowing a player to relocate a ship from one outpost to another. I really wouldn't want to manually go back and forth for best part of my working week ferrying my tiny fleet from the capital to wherever I've chosen to set up shop just so I can sail which ship takes my fancy that day. Doesn't have to be instant, wouldn't mind if it took a couple of days ( real time ), they could teleport invisibly or could sail under AI control ( as long as they get there! ). Or perhaps allow me to add them to a fleet and tag along with my on the Journey. Anyway, think it would be useful ( obviously im not talking about you being able to transfer trade goods or such like this way) and allow people to spread around the map for readily and still have access to their ships. It would I think encourage rather than stifle exploration, as you would only be able to do this to go to an outpost and you can only purchase an outpost in a place you are.

Secondly. Please, please, please, please get rid of shallows in the immediate vicinity of deep water ports. I find it hugely frustrating struggling to get close enough to dock when the wind is against u and there seems to be nothing but one free block of deep water available for u to get into, but you cant as you cant tack cos of the shallows and oh blah blah blah . Just find it irritating, and it serves no gameplay purpose. Or extend the zone the dock button appears in out a little.

Anyway, there you go.

• Like 2

I like the first suggestion, but I'd definitely like to see it take days to a week depending on distance.  This shouldn't be a "free shipping" service where you can relocate all your stuff risk free.  I do hear you though, I have some assets spread around a bit and the thought of fetching them all is a little daunting.  :)

As to shallows - the way to do this is to come straight in on the dock.  It's a little interesting at times, but there is a channel that usually lines up with the dock, just cut straight in and 9/10 times you're in in one..

I really think the first idea could be explored more, but I think it has a really sound premise. A lot of players, myself included, work long hours. On the weekends, I'd like nothing more than to sink 12 hours at a time playing, but I do so at the risk of a rather unhappy fiance :P (Though at least there would be truth in advertising - she'd know what she was getting into before signing the dotted line...)

Perhaps fleeting can be done where a player either A. Hires a fleet to convoy them in their off hours, or, and I like this idea more, B. Nation NPC traffic has some scheduling aspect to it, where players can go to the departing port, park their boat, and a convoy that was already going to have half a dozen frigates suddenly has some snows, brigs, even perhaps trading vessels. Taggable in the open world, and perhaps even insurable.

First suggestion is good. I have asked my self plenty of times, "Why can't I have the ships I own personally sail with me in a fleet?". Second suggestion, just seems out of frustration for me. I know the feeling. Shallows around ports have screwed me over more than once. i.e. I got put into an instance I was sunk in because I hit shallows on my way into port. I say keep the shallows, it is the job of the captain to learn the port he is sailing into. Take mental notes on the shallows and the best angle of approach. Took me awhile to get Phillipsburg and road town down to a science. Last patch screwed up my method though hahaha. Just take in what is around you and the shallows will become more trivial than usual. Map knowledge goes a long way to avoid hitting them.